Chapter 22

Hanni's POV

After rejecting her offer to continue kissing, Minji and I spent the rest of the afternoon avoiding each other, we talked only as much as necessary, she clung to her music, and I spent the afternoon reading her book.

When it was time for dinner we went down to the dining room, Minji tried to make the situation less awkward by talking about trivial things but every time there was a silence the tension became more than evident.

Patrick told us that we could now get to work, since the dining room had emptied, we headed to the kitchen.

—You wash the dishes and I'll wash the kitchen floor, okay?

—And it can't be the other way around?

— Nope. You dishes, Me the floor.

—Well...— I said resigned.

It was a pretty big kitchen, I saw Minji go get the mop and I went to the dirty dishes.

—I really don't want to do this— I said out loud.

—Start now, the sooner you start the sooner you'll finish— I heard her tell me from afar.

I put in the first round of dirty dishes and waited for them to finish cleaning, when it was ready I took them out and put in another.

— Shit, there's no soap left.

I went to get more soap from one of the shelves at the back of the kitchen. When I returned to my workplace, I found Minji with her back to me putting soap in the dishwasher while singing a song.

There I was looking at her like an idiot with a bottle of soap in my hand, which made me look even more so.

I paid attention to the song she was singing, it was in French, my God, it's so sexy; The song was about her realizing that she is in love with someone and she can't deny it anymore, she is tired of hiding what she feels and asks that person if they feel the same and if they want to try to be more than just friends. How I wish she would sing that song to me.

Enough, Hanni, one, we are not friends, and two, why do you want her to sing it for you? And then reject her like you've done before?

—What are you doing standing there? —She said, breaking me out of my thoughts.

— I... Um... I went for soap, there wasn't any left.

— It was there —she said, pointing to another bottle.

— I didn't... I didn't see it.

Calm down, Hanni, for God's sake.

—Are you already... mmm... Are you done?

— Yes, that's why I came to help you.

— No need to.

— I don't mind.

She put the headphones back on and began drying the dishes that came out of the dishwasher to put them away.

After several hours we finished our last day as workers at the lost motel in New York.

— At last! —she said—Congratulations, Pham, I never believed you could work for 3 days. Congratulations.

— You are very funny. —I said ironically and continued my way towards the staircase that led to our room.

—Are you going to continue ignoring me because of what happened before or...

— Be quiet.

—You know I haven't taken it personally, right?