11. Trip

I screamed in agony as my ankle twisted

"Maaaaaa!! Maaaa!!! My ankle!! AHHH!!" I cried out in pain, the words escaping me in frantic bursts.

Mom came running towards me, her face filled with concern. She quickly lifted me onto the sofa and examined my injury.

"Oh God, you've sprained your ankle. You shouldn't have run through the stairs. Wait here, I'll bring some ointment," Mom said, her voice filled with worry as she hurried off to get the necessary supplies.

"Ma, Rehan is waiting for me outside. We were supposed to go out," I explained, trying to keep the disappointment out of my voice.

"Don't worry, I'll ask him to come in. But first, I need to apply some ointment on that ankle of yours. We don't want it to hurt even more," Mom replied, her maternal instincts kicking into high gear.

As Mom went to fetch Rehan, my heart skipped a beat. Soon, I heard the door open, and there he was, entering the room. Tears welled up in my eyes at the sight of him, overwhelmed by a mix of pain and joy.

"Baby, Dard hora," I said, putting on a puppy face, though the pain was all too real.

"How did you hurt yourself?" Rehan asked, wrapping his arms around me in a tight embrace.

Mom returned with the ointment and remarked, "She fell down the stairs. She was running. I don't understand, Rehan, this girl is getting married but doesn't have any sense."

I winced as Mom applied the ointment, feeling grateful for Rehan's comforting presence despite the scolding.

Rehan chuckled softly, but then he gently took the ointment from Mom's hand and began to apply it to my ankle. His touch was comforting, soothing the pain more effectively than the ointment ever could. In that moment, I felt like his hand was my medicine, capable of easing all my discomfort.

As Mom excused herself to the kitchen to bring something for Rehan, I leaned in and softly pressed my lips against his, offering him a smile.

"I'm sorry, baby. I shouldn't have hurried and ended up like this," I apologized, feeling grateful for his care and understanding.

"No, it's my fault. I should have told you not to hurry. I'm sorry, Tara. I won't ever say anything like that again. I promise," Rehan responded, his voice filled with sincerity.

"Okay, enough now. It was both our fault, and we won't do it again. Right?" I said, gently brushing off his apology.

"But baby, how will we go to the place you wanted to take me?" I asked, concern evident in my tone.

"We will go together in the car, just like we planned," Rehan reassured me.

"But I can't walk properly," I protested.

Suddenly, he scooped me up into his arms with ease.