16. Am I dead to you?

AFTER 2 DAYS

AFTER 2 DAYS

"Doctor, how's Alara now?" Mala asked the doctor, trembling with worry as they stood outside the ICU.

"Right now, it's difficult to say. Her condition is not improving, but it's not worsening either. She isn't responding to our treatments or medications. Ma'am, you just need to have faith in God; He will take care of everything," the doctor replied, trying to reassure Mala.

"Where is Rehan, beta?" Mala asked Shouraya, who had just returned after bringing something for Mala to eat as she hadn't eaten properly in two days.

"Aunty, bhai said he has to leave for some urgent meeting. I don't know, bhai kabhi ese nhi the. When his PA had an accident, he took care of him. He helped him so much. But pta nhi unhe ab kya hogya h. He texted me two days ago after saying he was leaving for India, that he had to go to the UAE for an important meeting and work that he couldn't delay. I even told him that Bhabhi is in ICU and she needs him. But after that, he hasn't seen any of my messages."

"Hmm," Mala responded with disappointment and grief reflecting in her voice.

"I never thought Rehan would be like this," Mala thought to herself, feeling a pang of surprise and sadness at Rehan's behaviour.

AFTER A WHILE

"How is she now ?" Ram asked Mala.

"The doctor said she isn't responding to anything. . Ram bas meri bachi ko bacha lo. Agar use kuch hua toh mein jeete ji mar jaungi," Mala said, tears welling up in her eyes.

" Mala chinta mat kro mein hamari bachi ko kuch nhi hone dunga. Woh zarur theek ho jaegi. I am contacting with the best doctors of the country. Don't worry the god won't take her from us" ram tried to assure his wife.

But as said a wife can be assured when her child is ill but a mother can never be.

With this he hugged mala as she cried in his arms.

AT SOMEWHERE

"Sir, shall we release him now?" a voice asked over the phone.

"Not yet. I'll text you when it's time to release him. He shouldn't catch sight of you or the location where you've held him. Agar use bhanak bhi hui toh apni arthi sajwane ke liye tyaar rehna," a man in his mid-50s replied, his tone ominous.

AFTER TWO DAYS

"Sweetheart, how are you feeling now?" Ram asked Alara, who was still in the hospital but feeling somewhat better.

"I am feeling okay baba. Rehan kaha h? I want to see him, mom," Alara asked.