Chapter 12

Jaypaw kept his tail on [Y/A/N]'s shoulder as she stumbled blindly through the forest. He noted that through her thick cloud of sadness, her pawsteps remained effortlessly slient.

He knew that [Y/A/N] would make a great warrior one day. Unlike me. Leafpool had suggested becoming a medicine cat before, but Jaypaw never really considered the suggestion.

Firestar burst out of the undergrowth and Jaypaw imagined him pressing his muzzle onto [Y/A/N]'s.

"Oh, [Y/A/N]! Where have you been?" He demanded.

"Nowhere," [Y/A/N] mumbled.

"Why were you so disrespectful to Graystripe?" Firestar's tone remained that of a worried father.

"No I wasn't." Jaypaw imagined [Y/A/N] eyeing Firestar warily.

"You know he was my first and best friend." Firestar's voice held traces of sorrow.

"Well, Jaypaw's been my friend since I was born," came [Y/A/N]'s sharp retort. I have?

"You both are younger than Graystripe, so you should respect him," Firestar repeated, sounding annoyed.

[Y/A/N]'s anger engulfed her usual calmness. "For StarClan's sake, are you deaf?" She hissed.

Shock pulsed from Firestar's pelt like fever from an infected wound. "What did you just say?"

"I said what Graystripe said," [Y/A/N] responded coldly.

"He would never say that...." Firestar's voice trailed off.

"Look, I've always did what you said, but this time, I'm pushed past my limit. If you said something you didn't expect him to, then maybe he's not who you think he is anymore," [Y/A/N] said sharply.

Firestar's sighed. "Maybe you're right." He sounded exhausted.

[Y/A/N]'s voice became as soothing as a mother's. "Give him some time. Maybe you'll get to know the new Graystripe better."

Jaypaw pictured Firestar hanging his head like a kit. "I guess." There was this thing about [Y/A/N]; she might be one of the youngest cats in the clan, but she had this authority in her tone that made every cat want to obey her every command. She could tell cats to do whatever she wanted, and yet she didn't. And that's what I love about her.

[Y/A/N] flicked her tail at Jaypaw, beckoning him to follow her. Jaypaw followed her without question, but shot Firestar a sightless gaze before following.