Chapter 29: Boom goes the building, and possibly my boyfriend's back

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Chloe's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

I threw myself on the couch of the Hall of Justice after my interview with Black Canary. I felt the back of my neck, the control device was still there. "Really, you're not even going to help us?" Captain Marvel, or as I prefer to call him, Billy, asks me. "I need my sleep. These good looks don't come naturally." I say as I flip my ponytail, and he rolls his eyes. "Oh, I was always wondering." He replied. I stuck my tongue out as I grabbed a pillow, and he stuck his tongue back. Then there was a beeping noise. "Greetings and salutationism, Earth Champions!" A robotic voice sounded over the speakers.

"A girl can't get any sleep." I mumble as I roll off the couch and run after Billy and Zatanna. We ran up and outside the Hall to see a small yellow robot descending down from the sky. "I am L-ron, majordomo to the great master! And you are my prisoners!" The robot, L-ron, says. I snicker. "This is Plastic Man's April Fools joke, isn't it? Okay, Plas, you got us!" Billy says. "This is a pretty smart April Fools joke." I say, impressed by whoever did it. "No? I have you!" L-Ron says as he presses a button on his arm. A large triangular red dome comes down on us, caging the Hall too.

"Though not for myself of course! Rather, I hold you here at the behest of my master, who seeks to prove himself, against Earth's greatest warriors!" L-Ron says, and on que, a large purple alien beams down in front of Billy. Not to mention taller and more built than Billy. The purple alien raises his leg, and kicks Billy back into the hall, and he lands hard, leaving marks in the floor. "Let the cage match begin! No fooling." L-Ron announces. "Well how come he gets first hit?" I say as I prepare to blast two beams.

The purple alien growls, and I recognized the face he's making. It was the 'You're the crazy planet destroying girl!' face. Before I can do anything, he grabs me, and throws me back into the Hall. I impact on the wall, and slide down landing face first on the ground. Ouch. I look up and see Billy next to me. "You good?" I ask as I push myself up. "Yup, peachy." He says as he gets up too. Purple dude crashes through the doors. "Allow me to introduce my master, the War-Lord Despero! Gladitoral champion of 92 star systems! Working on 93 now." L-Ron says as the alien, Despero, stares us down.

"He's come to this backwater planet seeking a challenge to prove his superiority to all life forms! It's quite the compliment-ism, you really should feel honored." L-Ron says as he wraps his arms around me and Billy. "Oh, I am." Billy fires back. "Here, let me show him." Billy says as he charges forward. He rams into Despero, only to be then thrown up in the ceiling by him, and comes crashing back down. Despero then turns his attention towards me. "I take it we've met before?" I say as he charges at me.

No response. I dodge his fist and flip over his shoulder, then kicking him on the back, which only sends him a few steps. "Okay, all fight no talk, got it." I say as he charges again. Before he reaches me, Billy flies over my head, only to be thrown back into the face of Superman. Despero picks me up, and throws me straight into Billy. "Sorry." I mutter as I roll off his chest, and flop on the ground for a brief moment of pain. That's when I noticed Conner and Karen had arrived. "Check on Zatanna, fin head's mine." Conner says. "I wouldn't call him that! He gets really-" I begin to say as I stand up while Conner charges, but it's too late.

Despero throws him back into the wall. I fire a beam at him, but it only pushes him back a few steps. He kicks me back into the wall. Billy charges, no luck. Conner charges, again no luck. I charge, no luck. It's a constant process. I watch as Conner is thrown back into the statue of Martian Manhunter, only to have the Martain's head land on him. I take this as an advantage, since Despero is distracting, and kick him in the back of the head. He gets back up quickly, and kicks me back.