Absolution

Niall sat at the confessions box his eyes red from crying his leg bounced. The priest slid the slide open. He knew who the man was. He was one of the homosexuals. The one who dated Liam.
PRIEST
People come to the church in times like these for answers.
But I have none...most words seem to fall empty, but I'll try.
It is a horrible thing that no one should have to go through, losing a friend at such a young age.
You know, or you should know, that he is in a better place.
We'll always ask ourselves if there was something more that could have been done...that's natural.

Niall:
Do you ask yourself that, Father?
The priest's brow raised as he heard that question.
PRIEST
Me?

Niall:
He went to you for guidance, you hid behind a screen
Knowing how much empathy might mean
Did you know how much he loved? Did you know how much he cared?
Lost in the teaching was a boy, so all alone and scared.
Niall's voiced cracked he clutched his chest his heart hurting so badly.
Father, we were so in love! And that's what I find so odd
Our love was pure and nothing else brought me closer to God
The prest eyes were wet. My god what has he done. Condemning a boy an innocent boy who did nothing wrong. He was in love. This wasn't a sin. It was just a different version of the same kind of love.
PRIEST
I'm sorry, Niall.

Niall:
And I forgive you, Father.
Niall got up rubbing at his eyes that ran tears he didn't know what to do anymore. His liam was gone.