Chapter 15; Dragon Slayers

~Dragon Slayers~

Song; Going in Blind

~Thank you all for the votes! I love to read comments from everyone telling how they felt and what's on their mind about these chapters. It makes me so happy and gives me more courage to write when I hear from you all~

Natsu was running.

He moved quickly and quietly like the shadows that accompanied the night. He was just a blurry form underneath the moonlight that lit his path. His sharp hearing still seemed to be echoing with the ghostly screams he had picked up. It only made him run faster. His footsteps were silent against the earth that he ran upon, unlike Lucy's. Who's steps rustled and crunched the leaves underfoot as she ran after the Dragon.

Natsu had taken off so fast that Lucy had been left scrambling after him. What screaming?
Who's hurt?
Lucy thought worriedly, losing sight of Natsu when he crested a hill, and dropped out of sight when he went sliding down it. By the time she made it to the top, she saw, only for a split second, the ends of Natsu's scarf disappearing around her Father's castle's right side.

Lucy was wheezing by the time she stumbled to the bottom of the hill, and speed walked where she had seen the scarf. When she rounded the corner, huffing and puffing, her eyes took in the sight of Natsu taking a deep breath, before unleashing a small spurt of fire onto a set of bars. The metal bars began to hiss and melt immediately. The four bars had been protruding from the ground and had been connected to the castle.

Natsu crouched down so he could see through the new space he had created. After a moment, he looked up at Lucy, "There you are. Where does this lead to?" Lucy was leaning against the cool wall when she answered him airily. "It leads to the bottom of the castle. The basement, if you will."

"Ah," he breathed, returning his sharp gaze to the now destroyed bars, and peered into the darkness. "Whelp, see ya down there!" That was all the warning she got before he crawled through the space and dropped down into the blackness. Lucy could only stand there, jaw unhinged, and eyes wide as she watched the darkness swallow her friend whole. She snapped out of her shocked state and sprang forward. She dropped down onto her knees and stuck her head into the hole, fruitlessly searching the dark for him.

"Natsu?" She called out softly. Almost too afraid to hear an answer for fear it wouldn't be Natsu's voice who rose up from the sea of blackness. The silence that came from the darkness made her ears drum. Her heart beat seemed to count the seconds that passed with no answer.

"Natsu?" Lucy called out louder, her voice echoed down into the darkened place. The darkness seemed to swallow her words greedily. Just as Lucy was beginning to lose faith that Natsu would answer her, he did.
"I'm here!" His voice echoed up to her.
Lucy could have sagged in relief.

"What were you thinking!" She yelled right back, "Jumping down there like that!" A sheepish laugh floated up to her ears. "Come on down, Lucy. It's safe...I think." Lucy stared down the hole with a blank face, "No," she deadpanned. "Aw!" Natsu's voice met her ears once more. "Don't be like that, Luce! Jump down and all catch ya!"

Lucy glared into the blackness as if she could see the boy the glare was directed at. "No! I'm not going to go down there and die in a pit full of death and-" a shriek erupted out of her when something pushed her from behind. She toppled forward underneath the busted bars and into the darkness that greeted her by robbing her of her sight.