Chapter 5; Natsu the Pink Dragon

~Natsu the Pink Dragon~

"Yo! I'm Natsu Dragneel."
The raspy words fluttered into her ringing ears. Her eyes were filled with the most brightly colored hair she'd ever seen. The color of freshly bloomed cherry blossoms. A bright grin stretched across his rapidly healing face. Pitch black eyes, that reminded her of an onyx stone, stared intently back at her.

Lucy couldn't believe her eyes...or sanity. This boy couldn't possible be sitting upright or even able to speak a word to her. He should be in pain! Hell, he should still be in his coma like slumber!
Then, how is he conscious?
How is he talking to me?
And how in Mavis' name are all of his wounds healing?!

Lucy's eyes were not playing tricks on her. They couldn't be! Her gaze was fixated on the once life threatening slashes, that were now no more then bits of pale skin. They were healing before her very eyes. The skin was stitching itself back together at a rapid pace. She'd never seen such a thing.
Magic.
Lucy thought it must be.

The boy suddenly shook his head like a dog, sending his hair flying in all directions, before he went still once more. Lucy was so surprised by the sudden sharp movement that she didn't notice it at first. When she did, she was shell-shocked. Because, there, protruding from his temples, were lightly tanned, straight horns.

Lucy blinked.
The newly horned boy smiled sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck.
"Sorry, had to get my horns out..."
Horns. Wings. Fast healing. Dragon.
Horns!
That. Was. It.
That was all she could handle.
Well, that was until she saw his fangs... Lucy Heartfilia did the only thing she could do at that moment.
She scrambled up and fled.

Her boots made booming noises as she streaked to her door. Right then, that seemed like her only safe option.
Her only option to live.
She heard a sigh from behind her but she paid it no mind. Her hand was already extended, fingers reaching for the crystal doorknob that would lead her to her freedom and-

Something hot shot inches away from her splayed fingers and smacked into the knob. There was a sizzling sound and then the crystal knob melted.
Locking Lucy inside.
Inside, with the Dragon.

Lucy's heart was in her throat.
She couldn't breath.
She couldn't think.
Hell, she couldn't even move.
Gray was right. Lucy almost whimpered. I'm going to die over a stupid decision. And having a kind heart! Naturally, it wasn't Lucy's fault that her heart was so kind. It was how she was raised.
"Don't look down on others that are not as lucky as you are, my Star." Her Mother used to murmur to her when she took her out into the Market Place. "But be kind and generous, as a good Princess should be to her people."

How Lucy wished her heart wasn't so pure at that moment. If not, then perhaps she would have lived longer.
Her whole body was trembling. Her knees were knocking together. Her heart was hurting by how hard it was beating. She couldn't make herself turn around. For if she did, then she would have to face Death itself. So, she just stared at the keys her Mother had engrained into the oak of her door.

Lucy needed something to calm herself. To make her feel safe. Something worth looking at for the last time. Why not the last gift from her Mother?

Where are 'they' to save me now, Mom?

It would not save her.