1-broken.

freen pulled her car to a stop at the curb outside O'Hare.
her gloved hands clamped around the steering wheel, her mouth set.

becky had been to O'Hare a thousand times, every hour of the day, and no matter what, even on a grey, agonizingly cold day like this one, well before rush hour, the drive to the airport had been a nightmare and her wife had been distracted and agitated for most of it, too.

freen had just started back at her old job. Their house was almost ready, and after their trip, they would be able to move back in....but they still weren't okay.

freen still wasn't entirely comfortable around her wife, nor was becky around her.

becky was hopeful that moving back into their old house, settling in, would bring that ease back....Maybe it would even take that look off freen face....the expression she wore when becky could feel that she was a thousand miles away from her, and becky knew she would never be able to span the distance between.

freen shook her head a little and turned to look at her wife, her lips quirking up into a smile, but the gesture was ruined by the wariness in her eyes.

becky had told herself that freen was just worried about work or her morning sickness for so long, but a part of her was tired of making excuses for freen.

becky had done what she had asked, and she had believed that quitting her job and apologizing to freen for what she had done in California was all it would take to get them back on track, back the way they used to be....she had been wrong.

freen was the first to drop her gaze, and they were both quiet.... The traffic cop in front of them looked angry, and freen glanced up at him, then over at becky
"Have a safe trip," she said softly.

Becky nodded.
"Call you when I get in?"

"Yeah. Text me."
freen worked her glove off, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear.
"I'll see you in a few days."

becky nodded, her stomach doing a slow flip.

freen would be staying at her father's house while becky was out of town, and one of becky recurring nightmarish daydreams involved going over there to bring her home just to find freen dad waiting for her with a shovel and a shotgun.
Especially given all freen could say to him about what had happened in California.

The sooner they were back in their own house together, the better becky would feel.
"

I love you," becky said.

freen glanced down again.
"Love you too," she whispered.

becky touched her wife's cheek with her bare fingers, and while she knew her skin was cold, the wide-eyed expression on freen face when she glanced back up at becky had nothing to do with the temperature of becky hand skin.

becky leaned and kissed her, softly at first. When her tongue slipped into Freen mouth, she let out a soft sound between a protest and a whimper, even though she felt like she was melting under becky effect.

"Hey!" the cop called from outside. "Drop-off only, the driver lady!"

They broke the kiss, and the bashful expression on freen face, at least, was genuine... becky heart skipped a beat.