13. it's over.

freen looked around her dad house, which was gaily decorated with pastel bows and streamers and cutouts of ducks and lambs....The centerpiece of the buffet table was a pale yellow umbrella, and it was surrounded by plastic rattles and pacifiers in soft blue and pink and yellow and green... it was where they were spent thier holidays sometimes.

freen father's, his girlfriend Adriana, nam and kade and saint and his wife Nancy and mis brown the woman who was like a mother to Becky, the woman who welcomed Becky into her home after she had no room left in the orphanage and all of her other friends were gathered around her as she sat in a rocking chair in the center of the room, and everyone was cooing over the tiny little outfits and baby blankets and other precious items that she had received as gifts. 

freen was about halfway through the pile of unwrapped packages when she'd noticed that some of the presents she'd already opened had started to disappear. 

At first, she didn't think anything of it, assuming that nam or kade had started piling them up elsewhere to keep track of who had bought what so she could do her thank you notes later on.  

W

hen a gorgeous framed cross-stitched canvas of a teddy bear picnic that mis brown had made seemed to go missing, freen had had enough.

She asked point-blank where the gifts had gone, but nam and her dad just gave her puzzled looks. 

Suddenly, an old woman marched up to her, snatching away the duckling-printed crib bumpers that freen had been holding in her hands. 

"You don't need these!" she hissed. 

freen tried to pull back, but instead of deterring the woman, it set off a tug-of-war.  "Stop it!" 

"I told you, you don't need these!" the old woman snapped. 

"I do!" she protested hotly. 

Annoyed, freen stood up, but when she got to her feet, the guests let out a loud, collective gasp. She felt something gush out from between her legs; when she looked down, she noticed a huge red stain growing over the blue fabric of her skirt.  When she looked back up, the look of horror on her guests' faces likely matched the one she was wearing on her own face.  

Her heart was pounding as Edith hurried towards her. 

"I don't know what's happening!" freen cried out in distress.

"

Yes, you do," mis brown told her sadly, putting her arms around freen shoulders. 

"You do know, sweetheart but everything will be okay... Shhhh."

"No! No!" freen sobbed, afraid and confused. She continued to weep in earnest as the other shower guests looked at her with a combination of pity and sadness. 

That was when she woke up, emitting a gasp of pain as she bolted upright.

freen looked around frantically, disoriented, as she tried to piece together the nightmare that had interrupted her deep slumber.

Suddenly, the events of the previous evening came back to her, and she cupped her hand over her now-empty belly.  

Wiping at her wet cheeks, freen continued to sob, stuffing her knuckle into her mouth to muffle the sound.