12. miscarriage

becky had no idea why it was taking so fucking long for a doctor or nurse to come see them.

After all, the hallways were fucking crawling with them, but every time she tried to flag someone down to find out what was going on, they gave her a sympathetic smile and rushed by, explaining that that someone would be in shortly to see her wife. 

The ride to the emergency room had seemed interminable.

becky had totally disregarded the speed limit, not caring whether a cop or a trooper would pull her over.

Each time she'd looked over at freen, her lips had been pinched tight, her face pale as she clutched at the shoulder harness of her seat belt. 

becky again leaned her head out of the curtained-off area where she and freen had been asked to wait once she'd been admitted. 

"Please stop," freen told her, but there was no force behind her words.
"You're making me antsy."

"i'm sorry freen but I can't help it... they've kept us waiting forever, and it's pissing me off."

"Well, your pacing and sticking your head out of the curtain every two minutes isn't helping, becky."

becky fought the urge to snap at her, remembering the events that had led up to their trip to the ER... she was scared with bad thoughts flying inside her head... deep down she was worried about freen more than anything and anyone else...

"Sorry, freen," she muttered. "Do you want some water, or tea or anything?"

freen gave her what seemed like a forced smile, but it didn't reach her eyes.
"No thanks. They're already loading me up with liquids, remember?" She pointed to the IV sticking into a vein in the back of her hand, the other end snaking around to a hanging bag of sugar water suspended from a pole. 

Somehow, she looked even thinner, frailer, in the ugly blue hospital gown she'd been issued.... Her face was gaunt in the harsh fluorescent lighting. 

becky walked back to stand by her side as she perched on the examining table, reaching out her hand to her wife.

 freen hesitated, clearing deliberating whether or not she wanted to accept it, before giving in. 

"freen, I...."

becky sentence was cut off by a tired-looking Asian woman in her mid-forties, her white lab coat wrinkled and her stethoscope hanging crookedly around her neck.

The minute she entered, freen let go of becky hand. 

 "freen sarocha Armstrong?"

When freen nodded, the doctor went on.

"Your regular OB-GYN isn't the one on the emergency rotation tonight, which is why I'm here to see you ... my name is Dr. ellie.... I reviewed your admission paperwork, and it appears that you came in because of stomach pains and bleeding?"

"Yes," freen replied softly.
"And then it got worse when we got here. I… I think ... I had a miscarriage."