20. testing the waters

becky was glad when the clock on her computer screen ticked over to five-thirty, signaling that she could pack up her things and leave the office for the day. 

she had been grateful that she chose that insurance agency and didn't go to one of the big ad companies go have job need all her time... now she had a means of both earning some money and keeping herself occupied during the day even  if the job was far from challenging.  

The high point of her day had been dealing with an elderly customer who'd wanted to know if her missing cameo brooch was covered by her homeowner's policy.

becky initially been suspicious that it was a case of insurance fraud...being involved with a detective for all of these years could do that .... but was quickly able to rule out that possibility. 

 The woman was immensely relieved to find out that her policy did cover the loss, and she'd been incredibly grateful to becky, offering to make her a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies.

becky would found it sweet, but it was slightly depressing to realize that she was doing the exact same type of work she'd done as a college student. 

On impulse, she'd picked up her phone and called Chris Conners, a guy she'd worked with in the Chicago office at the ad agency for a few years before Chris had taken a position at another company. 

Maybe he would know of some other people in the advertising field who were ready to go out on their own and start up a new agency; hell, maybe even Chris himself was ready to try something new.   

becky had remembered Chris to be incredibly smart and hard-working, with the particular talent of being able to schmooze present clients and potential clients without being smarmy about it....He was genuinely a good guy, and had also been devoted to his wife and young child. 

Disappointed when she got Chris's voicemail, becky had left a message anyway, and then had tried to focus on her next task, an auto insurance claim for what essentially appeared on the police reports to be a fender bender. 

Now, after gathering up her things, she nodded goodbyes to the other stragglers before walking out of the building and making her way through the parking lot to her car. 

becky unlocked it and tossed her back bag into the backseat before starting the car and cranking up the heat.

For just a moment, becky wished she was back in L.A where it was likely a balmy seventy-two degrees today. 

On the drive back to her apartment, she stopped at her favorite burger place to pick up dinner.

she wasn't looking forward to eating it alone in her empty apartment, but she had a feeling that freen would turn her down if she asked her to join her.

she'd texted her a few times since their last therapy session four days earlier but freen would only sent terse messages in response.

At least she responded, becky reminded herself, trying not to be disappointed. 

becky had also thought about calling saint over the weekend, but she'd stopped herself each time she'd picked up her cell phone. 

It would have been nice to get together, maybe watch a game or hang out, but then becky would've had to explain why she and freen were living apart, and becky didn't really think she was ready for that. 

something missing..(G!p X Girl)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें