21. surveillance

The sound of her alarm buzzing woke becky from a deep sleep the next morning.
Disappointed, she shut it off and slowly sat up. 

she'd been having a dream about freen, one where she been attending one of her basketball games and after her team victory freen stayed with her the night and they had been cuddled up together under a blanket, enjoying paper cups of hot chocolate between kisses. She'd been wearing an purple tshirt under her coat, her cheeks flushed from the cold and her brown eyes bright with laughter. 

The memory had been so sweet that the sight of the empty bed next to becky instantly made her sad.

she automatically reached for the cell phone resting on her nightstand and sent freen a text. 

to -my love-
G

ood morning gorgeous. I miss u. 

becky held the phone in her hand, just waiting for freen to respond. Just when she'd given up hope, it vibrated. 

from -my love-
M

orning

Not the warmest or friendliest message freen had ever sent her, but it was something, becky thought optimistically. 

Feeling bold, becky began to compose a response.

to -my love-
 It was so nice to see u yest....Do u have plans tonite?

she had been dreading the idea of having to come back to an empty apartment on a Friday night and prayed that freen would somehow agree to see her.

becky stared at the screen of her phone, barely breathing. 

from - my love-
N

o plans. 

to - my love-
G

reat. Will you meet me at our bench by the river at 6?  

becky typed back....Her heart began pounding as she anticipated freen response; it sank when she read the text freen sent a few minutes later. 

from -my love-

 I don't think that's a good idea, becky.

becky had had a feeling that would be her answer, but she refused to give up. 

to -my love-
Please, baby. I need to see u – I miss u.

becky glanced at the clock, realizing that she would have to rush in order to make it to work on time.

she got out of bed and padded in her bare feet to her bathroom, trying to resist the impulse to check her phone for freen answer.