11. have a little faith in me.

"what happened with your face?!"

freen sighed again, frowning as she put her purse down and began to unwind her scarf.
"Don't start," she said tiredly.

"Don't fucking start?" becky replied.

"becky, it's nothing...."

becky walked over to her, flipping on the kitchen light, and took her chin in her hand, tipping her face so she could see it... freen blinked and squirmed away from her, but not before becky saw the ugly bruise on her left cheek.
"That's not nothing," becky told her angrily.

freen folded her arms after she took her coat off, a few melted snowflakes still clinging to her hood.
"guy just got in a lucky punch. It's fine. Calm down .... What were you saying when I came in?"

"I thought I could make hamburgers for dinner."
becky said that trying to control herself rimmed herself that freen was pregnant and need to eat

freen wrinkled her nose, opening the refrigerator, then the freezer.
"I'm not hungry," she said.

"You have to eat, freen."

"I don't. I'm not hungry. I just need to sit down."

becky followed her to the living room, and saw freen looking at her computer screen.
The list of public relations jobs was still pulled up, and becky flushed a little without really being sure about why.
"freen, you have to take care of yourself. God damn it."

freen scowled at her.
"Look, I didn't walk up to that asshole and ask him to hit me, okay?"

"No, but you work there."

freen threw her hands in the air.
"Oh, and now we're back at that again. Really?"

"I hate the fact that you're in that kind of situation, but I was willing to put up with it... but now you're pregnant. And I won't let you risk your health or the baby's health like that."

She stood up, crossing her arms again. "You won't let me. Well, guess what? One of us has to be making some money, big boy ... and I'm the one with a job."

"And you wouldn't even have to fucking work if I still had my job."

becky regretted the words as soon as they left her mouth...Her therapy session with Sol had left her job on her mind, but she had never meant to say something like that to her, knowing how she felt about it.

She flushed immediately.
"What are you trying to say?" freen demanded, her voice rising.
"Do you want to fucking go back there?
Then fucking go back there, you asshole. If you miss it so much."

"Is that always going to be your fucking trump card?"
becky shouted back. "At least when I was making all that fucking money I could provide for you and keep you safe...you wouldn't even have to work. And you fucking come home with a fucking bruise on your face and I'm supposed to just smile and kiss you on the cheek and ask how your day was?"