17. emergency contact

freen couldn't count the number of times she had regained consciousness in a hospital bed...or on a couch, tied up in the trunk or backseat of a car, in a chair. Automatically, before she even opened her eyes, she took an internal account of the injuries. Her hip and upper thigh throbbed. Her right wrist ached. Her head was pounding and her jaw, too.

And her toes. Served the asshole who had attacked her right, that she had been wearing pointed-toe stilettos. She distantly remembered kicking him hard a few times.

The soft chirp of the monitors came to her next, the faint pinch of the IV in the back of her hand, and then the smell...

God, that same smell. The last time she had been here, that awful night, the blood....

She distracted herself by thinking about that time at Emerson when gulf had been helping with a case, and becky couldn't let her go alone because she was worried about her so she just joined them even though she had exam the next day.

so they...she, becky and gulf
had been caught and knocked out by the bad guys after bloody fight, they won it but they end with bleeding nose and mouth especially becky and gulf who tried to be the big boys and they ended with bad injuries... freen was lucky have them around that time because they got the big part of the bullisht and she ended with one or 2 beats.

gulf had moaned and clutched his head as he catch his breath...

"So this must be what it's like to respawn," he'd groaned.

becky had chuckled immediately, but freen had been puzzled.

gulf had explained that when avatars characters died in video games and "respawned," they came back into the game, sometimes with their health stats diminished.

Ever since then, every time freen had come back to consciousness after being knocked out during a case, she had found herself remembering that conversation. Imagining that she had been reborn again, even if she felt significantly more beat-up than she had.

But at least she was in a hospital. So many times she had come to in much worse places.

Every breath of the antiseptic hospital air reminded her, again, of her most recent visit, and she frowned deeply as she raised her free hand and lightly touched her head. It was bandaged.

She felt gauze under her fingertips.

"freen?"

freen eyes flew open.
God, she had to be dreaming. She couldn't... it couldn't be her voice...

becky was sitting in the hard plastic chair beside her hospital bed, her dark eyes concerned as she gazed at her.

freen sucked in a swift breath.
"What...what are you...."

becky was holding  her other hands and freen could feel her warm hands but when freen moved her hand becky pulled hers as well...her
fingers were working, her right index finger and thumb slowly twisting her wedding band against her left ring finger.

"I'm still listed as your emergency contact," she explained softly.