023 Fragments of farewell

"Her vitals are normal," a voice stated.

"Check if the saturation is dropping," another voice instructed.

"She's fine, just the arm is destroyed,"

My eyes remained closed as my head throbbed relentlessly. The thought of opening them felt unbearable, as if my head might explode upon doing so. My arm throbbed with intense pain, but I dared not move it, though I attempted to. Memories from the previous night flooded back in disjointed fragments, intensifying the ache in my head. The rush, the speed, my realization about Johnny, it all raced through my mind, causing my heart to pound even faster. Finally, I mustered the courage to open my eyes, only to find myself surrounded by cables connected to my veins, my left arm encased in a cast, and two people looking to me.

Panic surged through me, a suffocating wave of fear. I had to get out of here. With trembling hands, I attempted to sit up, but pain shot through my body, pinning me to the bed.

"I need to leave," I muttered, my voice barely above a whisper, but the walls felt like they were closing in on me. I couldn't breathe. I had to escape. With desperate determination, I swung my legs over the edge of the bed, ignoring the protests of the two people. Each movement felt like a battle against invisible chains, but I couldn't stop.

"I have to go," I repeated, the urgency driving me forward, even as my surroundings blurred with tears of panic. I reached for the edge of the bed, my fingers trembling as I fought to find purchase. But before I could make another move, a gentle hand rested on my shoulder, and a calm voice broke through the chaos, grounding me in reality.

I struggled to steady my breathing, forcing myself to focus on his words. "Miss, please calm down," he repeated, his voice a soothing balm to my frazzled nerves. "If you don't, we may have to sedate you."

His words hit me like a slap in the face, jolting me back to reality. I nodded slowly, my heart still racing, but gradually slowing its frantic pace.

"I'm sorry," I managed to say, my voice hoarse with emotion. "I... I remember the accident. My arm..." The memories flooded back, the images flashing before my eyes like a nightmare I couldn't escape. The pain, the fear, it all came rushing back in a torrent of emotions.

"Can you tell me what's your name?" The doctor asked.

"I—Cassandra Wright," I stammered, the words feeling foreign on my tongue.

"And your age?" Dr. Samaniego inquired, his tone gentle yet firm as he began to shine a light into my eyes.

"Twenty One,"

"Okay, Cassandra," Dr. Samaniego began, his tone measured yet reassuring. "It seems you don't have a concussion, which is a good sign. You do have some bruises around your face, but they shouldn't leave any lasting scars. However, I'm concerned about your arm. It's fully broken."

"Would I be able to go home today?" I interjected, desperation seeping into my voice.

Dr. Samaniego exchanged a glance with a nearby person before turning back to me. "What do you think, Dr. Main? Can she leave with a closed fracture?"

I could sense that he was trying to provide a teachable moment, but I couldn't care less. All I wanted was to leave. I didn't need a lecture. Thoughts of Gracie, Mark, and even Aurora flooded my mind, each one tinged with a sense of guilt. This was all my fault, and I couldn't bear to face them.

"Yes, we should ensure she receives the proper treatment for her arm to heal properly, along with the cast," the other doctor explained. "Other than that, she's lucky to be relatively unharmed, unlike the other boy."