024 Lost in the noise

"I forgot to mention that Katelyn and I are currently living in a studio," Leighton mentioned casually, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Don't worry, I've got an apartment there. You guys can crash with me if you want, just know you're in charge of the food," I replied, trying to keep my mind off the looming concerns.

We were heading to London, Leighton continued chatting about his plans upon arrival, but my thoughts were elsewhere. My arm throbbed with pain, and I couldn't shake the worry about Johnny. I kept waiting for news about him—whether he was in the hospital or if a paparazzi caught Olivia or Mark leaving, anything to know his condition. That reminded me that I needed to get a new phone and a new number. Maybe being without a phone would offer some respite.

I couldn't stop thinking about the guilt. I had cheated on her, endangered Johnny's life, and my own. I would trade places with him in a heartbeat. Aurora's words echoed in my mind, 'he didn't want to go.' Johnny had come with me out of pure loyalty, and I had turned everything into a catastrophe. I shou—.

"Cassie, did you hear what I just said?"

I shook my head, snapping back to reality. "Sorry, what was it?"

"Are you going to tell me what happened to your arm and face?" Leighton asked, his tone curious.

"When I have a drink in my hand, I'll spill it. Right now, I just want to sleep. Flights scare me, and sleeping helps ease the nerves," I replied, my voice laced with exhaustion.

"Fair enough," Leighton conceded. "So, which part of the UK were you born in?"

"Chelsea, but I was raised in London," I responded, settling into my seat on the airplane. "And you?"

"Beaconsfield's, just the best," he chuckled.

"Ah, a rich kid upbringing?" I teased.

Leighton let out a sigh. "Yeah, you could say that,"

"Not me. My family went through a really tough time when my brother and I were around four, and our oldest brother was seven. We barely had enough to eat. It wasn't until we moved to LA, and my dad landed a good job that things started to turn around. He made good money, then left for the UK to build a better business there. By the time we were around ten, we had more money, but my mom always remained humble. I admired that about her."

I still didn't understand why I was opening up to Leighton like this. I had only met him two days ago, and now here we were, discussing my family and revealing things I've never shared with anyone before. I don't even think Gracie knows about this. There was something about him that brought a sense of familiarity, though. The way he looked at me made me want to spill everything within a second, as if he already knew the deepest parts of me. It was both unsettling and strangely comforting at the same time.

"Admired?" He questioned, raising his brow.

I sighed, leaning my head against the seat. "She passed away four years ago."

"Shit, you really have the background to be a good writer or journalist," he remarked.

"I'm a songwriter, or was. I wrote some songs on my brother's new album, but with everything that happened, I don't think it's coming out," I explained.

I couldn't help but think about Mark. I wondered how he was doing. At first, I hadn't cared much about him, but now, as I reflected, I hoped he wasn't torturing himself thinking that Gracie and I were together. When I saw them at the hospital, him and Gracie seemed like they were on good terms, which threw me off a lot.