Chp. 30

The next day I had reluctantly left Drew, wishing I didn't have to but knowing she had to go to work. Thursday's were usually insignificant because I had nothing to do, so I would either have lunch with Maria or attempt to clean the already spotless apartment I lived in. Although, today had turned out different whenever Jada had called and asked if I wanted to have lunch, and I of course obliged.

When the time to leave rolled around I had left my apartment in a hurry, not wanting to get there too long after Jada. She had been in some sort of meeting this morning, most likely concerning her upcoming career in the UFC. I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but I was sure we were going to discuss it.

Making it to the sushi restaurant I saw her already sitting at a booth, her head buried in the menu. I approached her and greeted, "Hey," and shuffled off my jacket and removed my scarf.

The weather was relentless this time of year, and we were lucky enough to dodge snow this week. It was a real shit storm whenever our luck ran out.

Jada lied the menu down and smiled, "Hey, so guess what."

I already knew what was coming out of her mouth but I joked anyway, "You're pregnant."

She frowned, "You know that's not even funny."

 "You're right. Besides, that would involve you actually having sex... which I know doesn't happen often."

She kicked me under the table then, a slight pain rising in my shin. I watched her roll her eyes, "I'm signing the contract."

I raised a brow, "For?"

"To go professional! God, keep up Breanna."

I sighed heavily, thanking the waitress for the glass of water before returning to the conversation, "Congrats."

"You sound so enthusiastic."

I shook my head, twirling my ice with my straw, "You know I don't like this, Jada. I don't like you fighting, especially after..."

I let the sentence fall, deciding it was a bad idea. She had come to me with good news, and she was happy, I should be at least supportive for her instead of degrading it because of my own discomfort.

I apologized, "I'm sorry... I know you've worked hard for this."

She smiled sadly, taking my feelings into consideration, "I did, and I know you're worried... but this is different. It's not like that other place... it's better, safer. I promise."

I knew she was partially right, but even though it was "safer" in a legal sense, I knew it wasn't in a physical. It was still extremely dangerous for her health, and I didn't want my sister to be a vegetable by the time she was sixty, but who was I to tell her not to follow her dreams?

"What the hell happened to your wrists?"

I glanced at her, "What?"

That's when it registered, and I followed her eyes that were gazing down at the obvious hand marks, courtesy of Evan. I shook my head, pulling them back and under the table, "Uh nothing... it's just-"

"Did Drew do that?"The anger in her voice was clear, but the last thing I wanted Jada to do was hate Drew again.

I shook my head, "N-No, Jada... she didn't-"

"Then who, Breanna? Don't you even try and lie to me..."

Oh fuck, how was I going to make her believe me? I couldn't tell her about Evan because that would only make things worse, but letting her believe Drew had done it would ruin everything. I was shaking my head, searching for some kind of answer... and then it hit me.