Chp. 33

The drive home from that night had been silent, and Drew hadn't said a word since we had left. I was extremely confused, but I knew bringing it up, at least right now, was the wrong approach. I was hoping Drew would plan on explaining once we were dropped off at her place, it was just the waiting that was getting to me.

There was an account, an account that Ronnie had for Evan until Alice came along. He must've signed it over to Alice whenever she had been diagnosed and then it was inevitably signed over to Drew whenever her mom knew she wasn't going to live much longer. Except that very account was frozen, unable to be accessed because it was protected under something Drew had no knowledge on. That's what I had pieced together anyway, and most of it made sense in my head.

Evan needed money, that was obvious, but money for what I wasn't sure. There had to have been inheritance from Ronnie's recent death, he had to have gotten something, right? I mean he was the only child, and Drew wasn't biological, so what was the missing piece? And why the hell had he been in New York in the first place?

According to Evan he had been surprised to see Drew, which meant he hadn't known Drew fought. That was until he apparently put up a lot of money for betting, and he had recognized his step-sister's name. Betting against Drew had cost him, I guess he figured she would've lost and he would've gotten double back, but his plan had back-fired.

Now he was in a serious financial situation, but how he had gotten to the same underground league as us was a mystery. 

We pulled up to Drew's and left Dee and Maria, saying our quick goodbyes and escaping the cold. There were a lot of things I wanted Drew to explain, starting with the mystery account that Evan wanted so badly. I was just afraid she wasn't going to explain anything tonight, and I didn't like the idea of waiting.

But when we made it into her apartment Drew didn't even lock the door behind her, leaving me to do it. I watched her stalk towards the stairs, leaving me in the living room momentarily before I followed her.

I walked into her room to room to see her fishing for something on her bookshelf, a folder I hadn't noticed until tonight. It was thick with paperwork, most of it looking to be useless until she spread them all over her bed.

I asked, "What is that?"

She just shook her head, "I have to have something telling me how to access it... I just have to find it."

She flipped desperately through the stack of papers, her eyes scanning frantically as I walked over to her. She wasn't going to give this to Evan, was she? This was money that would help her in the long run, money that could provide her a life outside of the fighting. This was something Ronnie had given her mom, knowing it would be passed to Drew.

No matter what Evan had said tonight Ronnie had given that money indirectly to Drew, and she was actually thinking about giving it back to the person who had hurt her tremendously?

I crawled over to her, mumbling, "Are you planning on giving it to him?"

She was sorting papers left and right, shaking her head, "I don't know... I just, if this will get him to go away... I'll do anything, Bree."

I grabbed her wrist then, leading to her scared eyes falling onto me. She was terrified, I could see it, but she didn't understand what she was about to do. I shook my head, "Drew, you can't give him whatever is in that account."

She didn't seem to understand.

I continued, "I don't care what Evan told you tonight, Ronnie gave that money to you. He knew what he was doing, he knew about your mom's cancer before you did. You can't give Evan what he wants."