Chp. 34

My eyes shot open at the sensation of someone stirring, allowing my senses to awake in time to see Drew leaning up to get out of bed. I felt my hand reach out a grab hers, startling her because she hadn't expected me to be awake. Those silver eyes took me in, a tiny smile growing on her lips as she faced me again.

"Don't get up," I managed, still feeling the sleep falling off of me.

She leaned back down, pulling me into her and allowing me to take in the warmth that had left me when she had started getting up. I sighed in relief, wondering why she wanted to get up anyway. We didn't have anything to do today, at least until tonight when she would have her last fight. Just the thought sent shivers down my spine.

I whispered, "Did you sleep good?"

I felt Drew's chest vibrate when she answered, "I did, actually. Thank God. I haven't slept like that ever since..."

She trailed off, me already knowing she was referring to Evan. I didn't want to mention him, and neither did she, so I just let the subject fall. I glanced at the clock to see it was actually already ten in the morning. There were a bunch of things running through my mind, Jordi getting back to me, Drew's fight, Evan's coming confrontation tonight...

It was just a lot to handle.

Then I heard Drew's voice asking, "You think Jordi's gonna get back to you today?"

I pulled back and looked at her, shrugging, "I'm praying for something. Something that's going to pull the pieces together for us... but I don't know."

She just nodded, understanding that Jordi's dad could only do so much, and if Evan wasn't in the system we were back at a dead end. For some reason I had a feeling he had gotten himself into trouble way before a week ago when he showed up in New York, and I still had a feeling we would find something. At this point I would accept anything on the guy.

Drew changed the subject, "Breakfast?"

I gave her a tiny smile, "Sure."

~ ~ ~ ~

A few hours passed after Drew and I had climbed out of bed, still no sign of contact from Jordi, which inevitably led me to believe that we were stuck. Drew and I had discussed the money thing again, her still believing it was best to keep it in the bank, protected and well away from Evan's hands. I had agreed with her of course, knowing the last thing I wanted was for Evan to get a hold of that large amount of money. She had even shredded all the information concerning the account just in case, memorizing the information beforehand.

Demarcus had called us up as well, letting us know he would drive tonight and would pick us up at the usual time. I was nervous, I could say that much, but I was more nervous about seeing Evan tonight rather than Drew fighting. Don't get me wrong, there were still a lot of nerves concerning Drew winning tonight, but that was up to Drew. I had a feeling it would be tough tonight, but I had faith everything would work out tonight. Even if it did get messy.

Then around one o' clock my phone rang, and to my complete surprise it was Jordi.

I answered eagerly, hearing him on the other end immediately.

"Bree, hey. I finally got word back from my dad and we need to meet. This Evan kid... he's serious shit."

His words made me nervous, but I knew he was right. Drew and I needed details, and the only way to find them out was through Jordi.

I answered nervously, "Okay, Drew and I will be there in a bit."

I heard him inhale before replying, "Okay."