chapter 28

As they enjoyed their meal, the conversation took on a more personal note. Taehyung, always curious, turned to Namjoon with a warm smile. "So, Namjoon, why did you decide to move to our neighborhood?" he asked, his eyes reflecting genuine interest.

Namjoon returned the smile, feeling more at ease. "Well, you know, I lived in the city for a long time," he began, his voice thoughtful. "I started longing for a place with more nature, greenery, and trees. Just a quiet neighborhood where I could find some peace."

"That's understandable," Taehyung agreed, chuckling softly. "The city's energy can be a lot to handle. And you're a fashion manager, right?"

"Yes, I am," Namjoon confirmed, his smile widening.

"Is it a difficult job?" Taehyung asked, his curiosity piqued.

Namjoon took a moment to gather his thoughts. "Well, I oversee the design and production process for a range of clothing lines," he explained, choosing his words carefully. "It's definitely challenging, but it's also incredibly rewarding. I'm fortunate to be part of such a dynamic field. And our success is greatly thanks to Jimin."

"Park Jimin is a smart young man," Mr. Kim interjected, his tone filled with admiration.

Taehyung's expression tightened slightly at the mention of Jimin's name. The reality of Jimin being his secret lover's fiancé was a bitter pill to swallow. He also felt a sting of jealousy and inadequacy as Namjoon and his father praised Jimin.

"Yes, he is," Namjoon added, nodding with a smile. "Thanks to him, our company has gained significant visibility."

"I'd like to meet Park Jimin sometime," Mr. Kim remarked, his interest piqued.

"You'll definitely get the chance, Mr. Kim," Namjoon assured him with a friendly smile. "He's quite an impressive individual."

Taehyung, feeling the tension rise within him, cleared his throat and sought to change the subject. "Um, I've got the second course ready. You'd definitely like it," he offered, masking his discomfort with a bright smile.

"Second course?" Namjoon raised his eyebrows in surprise. "That's a pleasant surprise. I'd be delighted."

As Taehyung rose to bring the next dish, Namjoon couldn't help but notice the slight tremor in his hands. Despite the casual atmosphere, an undercurrent of unspoken emotions seemed to ripple through the room, adding a complex layer to the evening's unfolding narrative.

Jungkook slumped into the couch, aimlessly flipping through the channels with a sense of frustration. Each press of the remote brought another wave of disappointment. "Damn, can't they put anything decent on Netflix?" he muttered under his breath, his sigh heavy with exasperation. Finally giving up, he turned off the TV and dragged himself to the kitchen.

Opening the fridge, he grabbed a fruit drink, the cool hiss of carbonation escaping as he twisted off the cap. His hand froze midway to his mouth as his eyes landed on Jimin's sketchbook lying on the counter. Intrigued, he set the drink aside and picked up the sketchbook, carefully flipping through the pages. The designs were impressive—better than before. Was Jimin improving?

Lost in thought, Jungkook marveled at the intricate details and innovative concepts. The sound of footsteps descending the stairs broke his reverie. Startled, he fumbled, knocking over the drink. The liquid spilled across the sketchbook, soaking the delicate pages.

"Oh fuck!" Jungkook cursed, panic rising as he watched the vibrant ink bleed into the paper.

"What are you doing?" Jimin's cold voice sliced through the air, sharp and unyielding. Jungkook's heart raced as he turned to face Jimin, guilt and anxiety tightening in his chest.

"I... I was just looking at your sketches," Jungkook stammered, his voice faltering. "I didn't mean to spill the drink. It was an accident."

Jimin's eyes blazed with fury, his jaw clenched tightly. There was no mistaking the distrust in his gaze. He suppressed his anger, approaching the ruined sketchbook with a mask of neutrality. Jungkook watched him nervously, his heart pounding. The silence was suffocating, laden with unspoken tension.

"You did that on purpose, didn't you?" Jimin's voice broke the silence, low and trembling with a mix of anger and pain. The accusation hit Jungkook like a physical blow.

"What? No! I'm telling the truth!" Jungkook's voice was earnest, pleading for understanding.

Jimin's face contorted with rage as he shoved Jungkook, causing him to stumble backward. "Hey!" Jungkook frowned, his own irritation flaring.

"Why are you doing this to me? What the fuck do you want from me?!" Jimin's voice rose, a torrent of frustration, anger, hurt.

"Damn it! I'm telling you I didn't do it on purpose!" Jungkook's defense was desperate, his frustration matching Jimin's.

"I don't believe you!" Jimin's voice quivered with raw emotion. "You do everything on purpose, just to piss me off!" His voice grew louder. Jungkook had never seen him like this before. They had argued many times, but this felt different—more intense, more personal. He noticed the tears brimming in Jimin's eyes, the way he fought to hold them back, refusing to let them fall.

"Hey, can you calm down? Grandma's upstairs sleeping," Jungkook pointed out, his voice tinged with annoyance but also concern.

Jimin's shoulders heaved as he struggled to regain control, the mention of his grandmother adding another layer to his turmoil. "You always have an excuse, don't you?" he spat, his voice quieter but still laden with anger. "You don't get it. You don't understand what this means to me."

Jungkook stared at Jimin, uncertain of how to respond. He could see how much this work meant to Jimin, and despite their arguments, he would never intentionally harm something Jimin valued so deeply. Did he feel sympathy?

"Okay..." Jungkook finally said, his voice low and soothing, an attempt to calm the storm between them. "I understand." He raised his hands in a placating gesture. "Tomorrow morning, I'll buy you a new sketchbook and whatever supplies you need. We can put this behind us, alright?"

Jimin's eyes flashed with frustration. "Are you nuts? Redo everything from scratch?"

Jungkook frowned slightly, confused by Jimin's resistance. "And why not?"

"You're such a dick.." Jimin hissed, his annoyance palpable.

"Alright, alright," Jungkook conceded, raising his hands again in a gesture of peace. "We'll find a way to recreate your designs. Maybe we can salvage some of what's left."

Jimin's frown deepened as he mulled over Jungkook's words, the tension still hanging heavy in the air. Jungkook watched him carefully, hoping to find a way to make amends.

"I still can't believe you," Jimin said, his voice carrying the weight of his distrust. The words stung, and Jungkook felt a flash of anger.

Jimin grabbed some napkins and handed one to Jungkook. "Clean up the mess," he instructed coldly. He turned to leave the kitchen, but Jungkook reached out and grabbed his wrist. Jimin flinched, surprise flickering across his face as he turned back.

"What are you doing?" he asked, his brows furrowing, a hint of resentment in his tone.

"I don't want you to think I'm doing this on purpose," Jungkook said, his voice low and firm. "But let's not forget what you did. You gave away my collection that I was working on, or you told my dad that I destroyed your studio." He stepped closer, his grip on Jimin's wrist gentle but insistent. "You don't have to believe me right now, but I can prove to you that I didn't do any of this."

Jimin's eyes, once ablaze with anger, softened as he contemplated Jungkook's words. A flicker of understanding danced in their depths, as if a cool breeze had swept through the fiery storm within him. He withdrew his hand from Jungkook's grasp, a silent signal of his intent to depart. Without uttering a single word, Jimin turned and strode out of the kitchen, leaving Jungkook to ponder their exchange in the lingering silence.