Chapter 45

"This? This is where Tate's lead led us? Are you sure?" I climb out of Ross's car, looking around the parking lot since I can't believe it myself. "He says they traced the fertilizer in Joseph's lair back here. You were the one that insisted we can't leave any stone unturned." She furrows her brow and points towards the sign. "McDougal's Hardware, Lawn and Garden? Why are we looking only at them? Doesn't every store like this sell fertilizer?" I close the door and look at her over the roof of the car.

"Not a discontinued brand that has been linked to numerous terrorism chatter across the country." Ross and I have been planning to follow up on this lead all day, since we've gotten nowhere with the information she got from her sergeant friend in SPD, who went through all the evidence for us. So, we've just been chasing blind leads in the hopes that we'll make a connection. Unfortunately for us, this has been the worst possible day to be a firefighter, as the intense heatwave has caused numerous incidents.

"This is the only retailer who bought large quantities from the supplier Interpol arrested a year ago. It took them a while to decrypt their sales ledger." Ross types a message to Tate while shaking her head. "He says this place's books are clean, but they have no record of ever selling the fertilizer, which is why they were flagged." She's looking around like something is out of place, but she can't put her finger on it. "It's the busy parking lot, Chief. No one should be this eager to be at a hardware store at seven pm on a Sunday. Especially not to buy plants of all things."

I guess we do make a good team, seeing how I picked up on it too as soon as we drove in. Her eyes follow the couple passing us, wheeling a large ceramic pot to their car. As we enter the store, the contrast between the bustling outdoor gardening section and the deserted interior, strikes us both as odd. The focus seems to be on a group of employees assisting customers with potted plants on the far left. "Good evening, you two. How can I be of assistance?"

I get the fright of my life when someone lays their hand on my shoulder. The woman looks just like any other friendly employee, but I get the chills while turning around to shake her touch off. Ross takes the lead when she feels the charged air, by taking an authoritative stance between us. "Good evening, miss. My friend here promised her wife a deck when she came home drunk the other night, and now the missus wants to cash in on that promise. We're just trying to get the lay of the land and work out the costs to see if a DIY project will be better than getting a contractor."

I appreciate Ross's calm and collected demeanor when the lady squints her eyes as she tries to find plausibility in our story. A smile quickly transforms her face when she looks down to see me fidgeting with my wedding ring. "I'm kind of in the doghouse with her and I think I may score some points if I at least have a plan to show her before I go home tonight." The employee nods her head before laying her hand over her heart.

"Say no more, ladies. I'm one of the McDougals and the manager of this fine establishment. Let's get you a great deal." We both find it suspicious when she takes us around the other side of the store to get to an aisle closer to the other patrons. "We have a deal with a contractor who has an account with us. If you use him, we offer a discount on the materials and equipment required." Ross and I trail behind her, humming our acknowledgement while trying to make sense of the hushed conversation on the other side of the isle.

"Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you." She turns around to beam at us, but her smile is off somehow. Her face screams competent manager who just wants to deliver the best service, but my gut is churning with unease. "Don't mention it. My brother was constantly in the doghouse with his wife too, and I've been roped into many DIY apologies over the years. So, I understand your dilemma." As she pulls out the shutter of samples, she turns herself to block our view from the other customers.