Chapter 5

Dean came into the motel room with the door slamming behind him.

"Sam!"

Here we go again.

I'm getting them a councilor. They've obviously got some issues to work out.

"You think this is funny?" Dean said angrily.

"It depends." Replies Sam. "What?"

Dean mocks him for a second and then says angrily, "The car! You can't let the air out of the tires, idiot, you're gonna bend the rims!"

Oh crap. What has Sam done?

"Whoa, wait a minute. I didn't go near your car." Sam protested.

I'll miss him. He was good older brother while I had him. I'll mourn him an appropriate time length before lobbying for his seat in Baby.

"Oh yeah? Huh. Then how did I find this?" Dean says, holding up the money.

Sam looks shocked and reaches into his pockets, then stands up.

He turns to look at Dean. "Hey, give me back my money." This is escalating.

"Oh no, no. Consider it reparations for - emotional trauma." says Dean, walking past him.

"Yeah, very funny! Now give it back!" Sam says, going after him and making a grab for the money as Dean takes off his coat, but Dean says no and moves it away.

"Dean, I have had it up to here with you." says Sam furiously.

"Yeah? Right back at you!" says Dean. Sam reaches for the money again, and once again Dean jerks it away. Sam tries again, then finally tackles Dean.

"Hey come on!" Dean yells, trying to get away.

"Give it back!" Sam says, holding Dean tightly so he can't get away.

It didn't get much better from there. In fact, it got so sad I'm not even going to say what happened.

It's never good when the eight year old is the adult in a situation.

Needless to say, I was happy when Uncle Bobby showed up.

When we were retelling this story to Uncle Bobby, that fight is the point he made it to before he was done with this whole thing.

"Okay, I've heard enough." interrupted Uncle Bobby. God bless that man.

"Anyway, you showed up about an hour after that." Dean said.

"And thank God you did!" I added. Uncle Bobby smiled at me for a second.

"I'm surprised at you two," Bobby continues. "I really am. Sam, first off, Dean did not steal your computer."

"But I-" begins Sam.

"Shhh," says Bobby, holding up his hand. Bobby is taking none of your shit. "And Dean, Sam did not touch your car." Dean says nothing. "And if you two had bothered to pull your heads out of your asses, it all would've been pretty clear."

"What?" says Dean, confused.

"What you're dealing with." says Bobby. "If you hadn't been ignoring Six most of this hunt she could have probably figure it out for ya."

That's true enough. I had some suspicions, but I didn't want to make guesses without all the evidence.

"Uh." says Sam.

"I got nothing." says Dean.

"Me neither." says Sam.

"You got a trickster on your hands," Bobby explains.

And that's why Uncle Bobby is my hero.

"That's what I thought," says Dean, smiling.

"What?" says Sam. "No you didn't!"

"But let me tell you," cuts in Bobby. "You guys were the biggest clue."

"What do you mean?" asks Sam. "These things create chaos and mischief as easy as breathing. And it's got you so turned around, and at each other's throats, you can't even think straight."

"The laptop," says Sam.

"The tires," Dean says.

"It knows you're onto it," Bobby says. "And it's been playing you like fiddles."

"So what is it, spirit? Demon? What?" Dean asks.

"More like demi-gods, really," Bobby begins. He lists a few gods, including Loki in Scandinavia. "There's dozens of them. They're immortal, and they can create things out of thin air, things as real as you and me, and make them vanish just as quick."

"You mean like an angry spirit, or an alien, or an alligator," Dean says.

"The victims fit the MO too," Bobby continues. "Tricksters target the high and the mighty. Knock 'em down a peg. Usually with a sense of humour. Deadly pranks, things like that."

"Does that mean it thinks Sam and Dean are douchbags?" I interrupted with a smirk.

"Probably, the idjits." Uncle Bobby answered.

Dean and Sam looked offended before deciding it was best not to argue.

"Bobby, what do these things look like?" Dean asks.

"Lots of things, but human, mostly." Bobby says.

Dean turns to Sam. "And what human do we know that's been at ground zero this whole time?"

Who knew my Apple Pie was more than a pretty face?