Chapter 8

Sam was dead.

It had been a day.

Dean and I haven't left his side. Uncle Bobby kept trying to convince us to bury him and find the demon.

"Something big is going down: end-of-the world big."

Dean lost his temper. "Well, then let it end!" I was with him. What had the world ever done for the Winchesters?

Uncle Bobby tried to calm him. "You don't mean that."

Dean laughed bitterly. "You don't think so? Huh? You don't think I've given enough? You don't think I've paid enough? I'm done with it. All of it. And if you know what's good for you, you'd turn around, and get the hell out of here."

Bobby walked out and left us alone.

For all my planning, the actual act of losing my family hurt so much. I felt the weight of guilt on my shoulders.

It didn't help when Dean started to speak.

"You know, when we were little- and you couldn't been more than 5- you just started asking questions:

How come we didn't have a mom?

Why do we always have to move around?

Where'd Dad go when he'd take off for days at a time?

I remember I begged you, 'Quit asking, Sammy. Man, you don't want to know.' I just wanted you to be a kid." He let a tear fall.

"Just for a little while longer. I always tried to protect you...Keep you safe... Dad didn't even have to tell me. It was just always my responsibility, you know? It's like I had one job... I had one job... And I screwed it up."

He paused.

"I blew it. And for that, I'm sorry. I guess that's what I do. I let down the people I love. I let Dad down. And now I guess I'm just supposed to let you down, too."

He started to yell.

"How can I? How am I supposed to live with that? What am I supposed to do? Sammy. God. What am I supposed to do? What am I supposed to do?!"

I watched my brother crumble and made two promises.

One, Jake would suffer for this.

Two, I would make sure everything we sacrificed would be worth it.

Dean left me at Uncle Bobby's the next day. He just said everything would be fine and he'd be back soon.

I knew something wasn't right. But Dean was so edgy I didn't say anything. I didn't want to set him off.

I knew what he was going to do anyway. Genius, remember? I wish I didn't know. Knowing is a terrible burden.

The next day the impala came roaring in the driveway.

A knock on the door and there stood Sam and Dean.

I knew what Dean was going to do, but it still just hit like a slap in the face to see proof.

By Uncle Bobby's face, he had figure it out too. We played along to the story that he had only been injured.

Uncle Bobby waited until I had distracted Sam to tell Dean off. I admire the fact that he could keep his voice down.

Sam and Dean asked what we had found while Sam was healing.

Uncle Bobby answered for us. "Well, I found something. But I'm not sure what the hell it means."

Sam questioned, "What is it?"

"Demonic omens... like a frickin' tidal wave. Cattle deaths. Lightning storms. They skyrocketed from out of nowhere. Here. All around here, except for one place... Southern Wyoming."

Ellen and Jo showed up at Bobby's and, after Bobby got them to drink holy water to confirm that they were not possessed, she produced a map of Wyoming that Ash left before he died.

On the map, five locations have been marked with Xs.

Each X marks an abandoned frontier church, all mid-19th century, built by Samuel Colt.

The Samuel Colt.

A set of iron railway lines connecting each church formed a pentagram, making a hundred square mile devil's trap.

It was pretty impressive.

Within the devil's trap was an old cowboy cemetery, which Dean suggested could contain something that Samuel Colt wanted to imprison, rather than trying to keep demons out.

Not just a pretty face, that guy.

We know the devil's trap was still unbroken by of the lack of demonic omens in the area. Uncle Bobby commented that full-blooded demons would not be able to enter it.

A lightbulb goes off.

Sam shares with the class about his weird ass dream.

I was left with Jo as Uncle Bobby, Ellen, Sam, and Dean went to go kill Yellow Eyes once and for all.

While Jo was sleeping, I made a call.

I would give my brothers the satisfaction of killing both those assholes. But I knew someone who would make sure Jake's afterlife was the true meaning of Hell.

"Crowley." I said simply.

"Six. It's always delightful to hear from you. I hear the big deal has gone down."

"Yep. This fucking sucks but it's all part of the plan."

"You're really going to let your brother go to Hell? That's cold." I feel like he approves.

"He has to go. It's the only way to get all of our enemies out in the open once he gets resurrected. You know what you have to do."

"I do indeed, but that's not why you called me, is it Flower?" He asked. I could just hear the smirk.

"An individual named Jake Talley will soon be coming your way. It would be lovely if you could do two things for me."

"I'm listening, Flower." He purred. Crowley was such a creeper.

"Make sure he suffers and make sure he never gets the option to hop off the rack and become a demon." I said, letting my fury leak into my voice.

"You have a devious mind."

"No one fucks with my family."

Sam and Dean called and told me everything that had went down.

They said John said he loved me before he disappeared, having me wishing I was old enough to drank.

Oh, and Old Yellow Ass may be dead, but a fuck ton of demons got out.

Just another day of being a Winchester.