Chapter 15

We went home and Sam came with us.

Dad was drinking his Master Cleanse, when he let out an, "Holy crap, dude."

"Yeah. I could use a beer." Sam agreed.

They wouldn't tell me what had happened when they went to investigate. The mystery was killing me.

"Oh, sorry, man. I'm on the Cleanse. I got rid of all the carbs in the house." Dad didn't know about my junk food stash. I wasn't going to tell him about it either.

"Hey. How the hell did you know that ghosts are scared of wrenches?" Sam asked. At this point I was dismissed to my room where I called Riley. I was too busy freaking out about ghosts to really argue.

"Ghost?" She questioned.

"Yeah." I said, as I flopped onto the bed. "Ghosts."

The line was silent for a second.

"I told you things would get interesting." She said.

"My Dad's having a mental breakdown and you're saying I should be happy at least life's getting interesting?"

My friend was so weird.

I walked back into the living room to hear Dad saying "the best site ever. Real, actual ghost hunters." Are they going ghost hunting, seriously?

Sam walked over to look at Dad's laptop.

"These guys are genius. Check it out." Dad said.

"Instructional videos." Sam replied

Dad is looking some website called Ghostfacers. He pulls up a video. Two guy, Ed and Harry, appear wearing white lab coats.

ED:
We know why you're watching.

HARRY:
You've got a problem.

ED:
A ghost problem.

HARRY:
A ghost-related problem. A ghost-it's like a ghost-adjacent pr-it's like a problem that's-and the ghost is-

ED:
Whatever. You've come to the right place. The only decent place, really, because the Ghostfacers know how to solve it.

HARRY:
Period.

ED:
Watch and learn.

HARRY:
See, the first step in any supernatural fight:

ED and HARRY:
Figure out what you're up against.

Dad looks over at Sam. They look at something on his laptop.

"That's him. That's the ghost." Dad saids.

"P. T. Sandover. Died 1916. Devoted his life to his work. No wife, no kids." Sam reads. "Used to say he was the company, and his very blood pumped through the building."

"Wow, okay. So slight workaholic. Maybe he's still here, you know, watching over the company, even killing for it." Dad responds.

"Plus, turns out this isn't the first time people started killing themselves in the building. 1929." Sam adds.

"Yeah, but lots of guys jumped off lots of high rises that year." Dad protests.

"How many companies had seventeen suicides?" Sam questions.

Dad lets out a breath. "Phew. Okay, so P. T. Sandover, protector of the company. His ghost wakes up and becomes active during times of grave economic distress."