Chapter 14

An alarm clock blare wakes me up.

Just another day, I sighed. I couldn't help but feel like there was something more out there, instead of the boring life I led.

My dad, Dean Winchester, popped his head in my bedroom.

"Time to get up!" He called, before going to get his cup of coffee.

I sighed once more before throwing my covers back. I got dressed in my stupid uniform for the prep school Dad insisted on me going to.

I walked into the kitchen to see Dad already dressed in his business suit with his hair slicked back. It kinda made him look like a douche.

I climbed into the back of his Pruis, yes he drives a freaking Pruis, because he won't let me ride in the front. He's so boring.

He cranked on the car and some rock music started to play.

"And he's oh-" I smiled. Classic rock is awesome. So of course Dad puts it on the news.

Boring.

He drops me off in front of my school with a wave. I quickly find my friend Riley and we make our way to class.

Riley is a short, pale skinned girl with fiery red hair. We became best friends the day she punched Kyle Mathews in the mouth for trying to look up my skirt. Since we had both skipped enough grades to be in fifth grade, we were especially close.

"Any strange dreams lately?" She asked as we moved through the crowded hallway.

"Yeah." I answered, as I dodged a kid with a giant backpack. "The people with the black eyes again. The weird dude in a trench coat."

"Maybe it's some weird way of your brain telling you to add some more excitement to your life." Riley suggested as we opened our homeroom's door.

"My dad's the most boring guy on the planet. He won't let me do anything." I huffed, as we sat down.

"He's bringing you to work tomorrow for our project, right? Maybe something cool will happen?" Riley handed me a pencil. She knew I always forgot one.

"Whatever. His job is super boring too." She couldn't answer, as our teacher entered the class.

Mr. Crowley's punishment for talking could be serious torture.

The next morning was a lot like the last.

The only difference being I was allowed to wear what I wanted, which was my prized Led Zeppelin t-shirt and jeans. Dad hated it, but Dad hated anything classic rock related.

I think it has something to do with Grandpa John, Dad's biological father. Dad doesn't talk about it or anything else before Grandpa Bobby and Grandma Ellen adopted him. All I know is that if he was alive, we sure wouldn't be visiting him for Christmas.

We arrived at Dad's office building, Sandover Bridge & Iron Inc, to find police cars everywhere. Slightly disturbed, Dad led me to his office.

We came across a dead body on the way there.

I feel like I should be more disturbed about it, but the dead guy wasn't really bothering me. That was probably bad.

People in coroner outfits rolled the body bag past. A guy in a short sleeve, yellow shirt watched and sighed, he looked strangely familiar. Dad and several other people, some in suits and some in the yellow shirts, also watched. The guy and Dad noticed each other and shared a weird eye contact. Dad addressed another guy in a suit.

"Something about this seem not right to you?" Since when had a Dad cared?

"Uh, yeah, try the whole thing. I'm telling you, man, I'll never eat popcorn again." The guy answered.