Chapter 16

I think I want to adopt Chuck.

He's all sad and drunk and lonely. I just want to hug him and never let him go. So I hugged him, which I think weirded him out.

Chuck pried himself out of my arms and poured himself a large glass of whisky. He gulped it down, then set the glass on the kitchen sink. He turned around, sees Sam and Dean, and groans.

"Oh! Oh, you're still there." He saids, a bit panicky

"Yup." We all say.

"You're not a hallucination."

"Nope." Dean answers.

"Well, there's only one explanation. Obviously I'm a god." Chuck, you precious angel.

"You're not a god." Sam answers.

"How else do you explain it? I write things and then they come to life. Yeah, no, I'm definitely a god. A cruel, cruel, capricious god. The things I put you through - The physical beatings alone." Chuck hangs his head.

"Yeah, we're still in one piece." Dean replies

"I killed your father. I burned your mother alive. And then you had to go through the whole horrific deal again with Jessica." He looks like he's about to cry and looks at me. "And you I've treated worst of all."

"Chuck..." Sam tries to interrupt.

"All for what? All for the sake of literary symmetry. I toyed with your lives, your emotions, for... entertainment." He keeps going.

"You didn't toy with us, Chuck, okay? You didn't create us." Even Dean feels bad for him.

"Seriously dude not your fault." I add.

"Did you really have to live through the bugs?" He asks. I grimaced. That was more traumatizing than dealing with my mother's ghost.

"Yeah." Dean answers.

"What about the ghost ship?" He continues.

"Yep, that too." I reply.

"I am so sorry. I mean, horror is one thing, but to be forced to live bad writing... if I would have known it was real, I would have done another pass." He saids sadly.

"Chuck, you're not a god!" Dean loses his temper.

"We think you're probably just psychic." Sam interrupts, before Dean makes Chuck cry.

"No. If I were psychic, you think I'd be writing? Writing is hard." Chuck scoffs.

"It seems that somehow, you're just... focused on our lives." Sam explains.

"Yeah, like laser-focused. Are you working on anything right now?" Dean asks.

Chuck freezes, like he's realized something. "Holy crap."

"What?" Sam asks, wearily.

Chuck picks up some pages. "The, uh, latest book? It's, uh, it's kind of weird."

"'Weird' how?" Sam asks.

"It's very Vonnegut." Chuck responds.

Dean surprised everyone by questioning, "Slaughterhouse-Five Vonnegut or Cat's Cradle Vonnegut?"

Sam looks at him surprised. "What?" He saids.

"What?" Dean saids back, defensively.

"It's, uh, Kilgore Trout Vonnegut. I wrote myself into it. I wrote myself, at my house... confronted by my characters." Chuck answers.

We stayed at Chuck's that night. I convinced them we needed to watch out for the dude with all the demons running around.

Chuck was dozing at his desk when he suddenly woke up, panicked. He made so much noise he woke up my brothers.

Dean and Sam came barging in, expecting an attack of demons. Instead, they found Chuck writing furiously.

"So... He writing another chapter?" Sam asks me awkwardly. I nod.

"This was all so much easier before you were real." Chuck sighed.

"We can take it; just spit it out." Dean joked.

"You especially are not gonna like this." Chuck said, looking at Dean.

"I didn't like hell." Dean replies.

"It's Lilith. She's coming for Sam." Chuck spits out.

"Coming to kill him?" Dean questions.

"When?" Sam asks.

"Tonight." Chuck answers.

"She's just gonna show up? Here?" Dean questions.

Chuck sits and puts his glasses on. "Uh... let's see, uh." He begins reading from the manuscript. "Lilith patted the bed seductively. Unable to deny his desire, Sam succumbed, and they sank into the throes of fiery demonic passion."

Yeah, Dean wasn't happy.

They left me with Chuck while they went to go check out a nearby haunting. A simple Salt and Burn.

I spent all day straightening up Chuck's house while he recovered from a hangover. It was in livable condition by the time I was through.

Inevitably, Sam doesn't sleep with Lilith and we find out that Chuck is a prophet.

Pretty cool.

"Chuck, won't you please come with us?" I beg, giving him my puppy dog eyes. "Who will look after you?"

"Six, he's a grown man." Dean sighs.

"Thank you for your offer Si-"

"Call me Lilly." I interrupt. Dean and Sam exchange looks.

"Lilly, but I'll be okay." Chuck smiles.

I huff. "You can't adopt people like their puppies Six." Sam saids.

"Why? I did it to you." I reply. He has no response.

LATER ON

Six was asleep in the back of the impala, Dean and Sam were sitting quietly in the front. There was still a few hours left until Bobby's but they were too impatient to wait until morning.

"Did you notice Six's weird attachment to Chuck?" Dean asked, glancing at Sam.

"Yeah," Sam nodded, "that was..."

"Weird, right?" Dean finished.

A thought occurred to Sam. "Hey you don't think she has a crush on him do you?"

Dean nearly lost control of the car.

He straightened it up, glanced back to see if Six was still sleeping, and glared at Sam. "Why would you say that? Are you trying to give me a heart attack? Besides, she's just a baby."

Sam tilted his head thoughtfully. "Well not really, she's almost a preteen. Soon enough she'll be going out on dates and -"

"And nothing!" Dean whisperer loudly. "Because she is not allowed to date until she's 40."

Sam looked at his brother sadly.

Dean ignored him and delved deeper into his land of denial where Six still needed help to tie her shoes and to reach tall stuff.