Chapter 1 - Off To Bondi

Shannon felt the familiar sense of dread as she took her place in the queue to show her boarding pass. She hated flying and the fact that she was still unsure about being on this trip certainly didn't help. She looked around at the smiling, excited faces and tried to push the doubts out of her head.

"So Shannon, will we ever convince you to join us on stage? Said Dean with a grin "We may need you to understudy all the female roles eh"

Shannon smiled back, she did get on with Dean but sometimes he liked the sound of his own voice a bit too much. "Do you never get bored of the same joke over and over love" she replied, rolling her eyes.

"You can deny it all you like but I know the real reason you decided to join us in this little adventure – you secretly want some of the limelight too" laughed Dean

Shannon asked herself again exactly why she had agreed to tag along, after all she had no interest in performing in the amateur productions they had planned. When they won the chance to perform abroad she didn't think there would a place for her, especially as she only really ever helped out backstage and the theatre that they were using had all the crew already there.

She had then felt quite moved when some of the group had insisted that she joined them although she was sure that Holly was not overly happy she was going. But the fact that her best friend Rachel was involved and had begged her to come too meant she had agreed and been swept along by it all. The plan was for Shannon to get a job in a bar so that she kept busy while they were all doing their thing on stage. In fact, Shannon had even contacted some of the bars near where they were staying and had lined up some interviews when they arrived. So there really was no reason not to go.....right.

Perhaps she would feel better if he wasn't there but now she would never know. Tim had initially said he couldn't possibly take 6 months off to join them but had changed his mind at the last minute.

"I swear if my flight wasn't paid for I wouldn't be coming" Shannon had whinged to Rachel one night.

"Don't be a dickhead" said Rachel's boyfriend Darren, "You can't let that hobbit affect what you do"

"He's right, well sort of anyway" said Rachel "Most people going think he's a bit of a knob – especially after the way he treated you so he is deffo not worth you missing out on this" Rachel gave Shannon a sympathetic smile "Plus you will only see him when we are all in the house, super nerd is hardly gonna come with us to the beach now is he"

"Yeah I suppose you're right" Sighed Shannon

"I'm always right" Grinned Rachel giving Shannon a playful shove "Besides I'll never cope without you all that time"

Shannon boarded the plane and found her seat but regretted not going with Rachel for that last cigarette before the 20 plus hours journey.

"There better be some decent films on" said Ryan as he took his seat on the row in front of Shannon

"Oh you better not bloody whinge the whole way there" warned his boyfriend Jason.

Shannon giggled at them both bickering as Jason turned to her "So hun are you excited?" he asked her whilst squeezing her arm.

"Errr yeah I suppose" replied Shannon as Tim shuffled past them with a nod and a hello.

"Forget about that short arse babes - Our mission is to find you a sexy surfer dude" grinned Ryan.

Shannon laughed and looked at the drinks menu.

"Oooh good thinking Shan" Darren bounced over to her and sat in the window seat

"Oh yeah Darren, you just take the window seat and sod me and Shan eh" said Rachel who had also just appeared.

"I don't mind" smiled Shannon "I prefer the aisle seat anyway" Rachel tutted loudly "bloody good job innit"

So this was it, no turning back now thought Shannon as she fastened her seatbelt and the plane made its way to the runway. The engines revved loudly and Shannon shut her eyes. She felt Rachel's hand squeeze hers as her best friend whispered "Try and sleep, it goes quicker" as Darren shouted loudly

"Next stop Australia baby"

which was followed by lots of whoops and cheers.