Chapter 28 - Didn't have you down as such a romantic

Kailan had finished work and Shannon was meeting him at his apartment. She decided on wearing her favourite skinny jeans with a pink fitted top and matching pink heels, had one last look in her mirror and headed out of her room and into the kitchen.

"Whit woo" whistled Darren, who was snuggled on the sofa with Rachel.

"Looking gorgeous bestie" said Rachel, giving her the thumbs up

"Awww thanks guys" laughed Shannon as she located her car keys and put her thin denim jacket on.

"You staying at Kailan's tonight?" asked Rachel

"Probably" nodded Shannon "I'll be back tomorrow morning though for operation pre-wedding"

"Woohoo" shouted Darren "Just think babe, this time tomorrow will be your last night as an unmarried woman"

"Still time to change my mind then hey" laughed Rachel

Shannon laughed and said goodbye and headed outside to her little jeep. She started the engine and turned the radio on just as the DJ announced that they were playing a whole hour of nineties classic songs so she turned it up louder.

She drove past the beach and saw Maxi who was chatting to a group of very excited girls. She beeped the horn at him and he looked up and waved so Shannon waved back, smiling and shaking her head – he certainly was a very popular lifeguard!

It wasn't far to Kailan's so she arrived quite quickly and pressed the buzzer of Kailan's apartment.

"You can only come in if you're a sexy English girl who  has the hots for an Australian lifeguard" Kailan's voice came through the intercom.

"Does it matter which lifeguard I have the hots for?" Shannon laughed

"Well it had better be me" came the reply as the door buzzed and clicked open.

Shannon chuckled to herself and pushed the door open, making sure it clicked shut again after her. She headed up the stairs and along the corridor to Kailan's door which was open slightly.

"Hello" she called as she pushed the door open and let herself inside, closing the door gently behind her.

"Kailan" she called out as she saw the candles placed out along the floor – arranged so that they looked like they had been made into a sort of pathway for her.

"It's a bit dark in here" she shouted, smiling to herself

"It's called creating a romantic atmosphere actually" she heard Kailan say as he appeared leaning against the doorway into his kitchen. He was holding a large bunch of flowers and was smiling possibly the best smile Shannon had ever seen.

"Didn't have you down as such a romantic" she smiled back at him and he grabbed her waist with the hand not holding the flowers and kissed her.

"I take that comment back then" giggled Shannon, feeling a little flushed.

"Good" he said, winking at her

"Those for me?" she asked, pointing at the flowers

"These? Nah, they're for Maxi" he laughed as he handed them to her.

"They are lovely, thankyou" she said as she took them from him "Need to put them in water though or they won't last"

She watched Kailan as he rummaged around in a cupboard and managed to find a bucket.

"Will this do?" he asked, holding it up for her to see.

"Yeah, for now" she smiled "Good job we have vases back at the house eh"

"I don't need stuff like vases though do I" he laughed back.

Shannon filled the bucket with water and placed her flowers into it, sniffing at them as she did so "They smell beautiful" she sighed

"Glad you think so" he grinned

"Something else smells good too, what are you cooking?" she asked, walking towards him.

"Pasta, special Collins recipe handed down over the years" he replied

"Sounds good" she said as she placed her hands on his chest and snuggled into him.

"It'll be ready in less than five" he said, kissing her on the head.

"I'll pour us some wine then" she said.

Shannon poured two glasses of the wine Kailan had got out of the fridge and watched him serve the pasta into two big bowls.

"Whoa whoa whoa, not that much" she shrieked as he piled the pasta into the bowls.

"Too much?" he asked, laughing "Sorry babe, I forgot you don't eat as much as me and the boys" and he took some pasta out of one of the bowls and put it back into the pan.

They carried the food and wine through to his small dining table and Shannon sat down while Kailan lit the candles he had put on the table.

"You really have made quite the effort haven't you" she smiled at him

"You're worth it" he smiled back

They ate the delicious pasta and Kailan refused to give her the recipe no matter how many times she asked.

When they finished, they moved onto the couch and Kailan pulled her into him so they could cuddle up, which Shannon was more than happy to do.

"Shall I check what movies are on?" he asked her.

"Sure" she replied, hoping he wouldn't choose a rubbish one.

"What about one called now you see me?" he asked

"Never seen it" she replied

"Neither have I" he said "Apparently it's about magicians who rob a bank" he added, reading the information panel

"I'll give it a go" she smiled up at him

They watched the film and Shannon ended up really enjoying it. She sat up from cuddling Kailan who was looking at her intensely.

"What?" she asked him

"Nothing, just thinking about how lucky I am" he replied

"Oh shush you" she said, embarrassed "Come on, bedtime I think"

"Don't need to tell me twice" he cheered as he took her hand and lead her to his bedroom.