Chapter 44 - She really was going to miss this place and the people

The celebrations went late through the night and into the next morning so Shannon was glad Kailan didn't have to work later. They had a long lie-in, Shannon woke at around midday and noticed Kailan wasn't next to her. Dragging herself out of bed, she put a tee-shirt and shorts on and went to investigate where everyone was.

She found Tristan asleep on the couch and heard Kailan and Darren talking in the kitchen.

"I know she feels the same mate, really" she heard Darren saying

"Yeah?" replied Kailan

"Mate, she's gonna miss you like crazy" Darren continued "Rach is really worried how she'll be when we go back"

Shannon knew they were talking about her and she felt guilty for listening but she couldn't help herself.

"I really don't want that day to arrive" Kailan whispered

"Well I for one could stay here forever so how long do you think we would get away with staying without a visa" laughed Darren

"Not very mate" Kailan laughed in return

They fell silent so Shannon thought she'd better go in

"Morning sleepyhead" said Kailan, kissing her on her forehead

"Morning" she replied, pouring herself a coffee from the pot Darren had just made.

"You guys got anything exciting planned today?" asked Darren

"I was gonna go for a surf later, but other than that, not really" replied Kailan

"I'm gonna try and get rid of this hangover" replied Shannon

"You could go to the beach too and have a swim?" suggested Darren "That really helped me the other day"

Kailan and Shannon laughed and then Jamie walked in with a bag full of groceries and announced he was making pancakes.

Darren went to wake Rachel up and Jamie kicked Shannon and Kailan out of the kitchen while he was cooking.

Shannon and Kailan took their coffees outside and sat at the large table.

"So apparently Jesse spoke to Karen" said Kailan

"Really?" asked Shannon "Did he say how it went?"

"He's sorting out going over to the UK soon so I guess that's a good thing" he shrugged

"I thought she was coming back here" said Shannon

"Jesse said she's been really sick so I guess that's why" replied Kailan

Shannon wondered why she had to hear all this from Kailan but tried not to get too angry as Karen was going through a lot and so keeping her updated probably wasn't top of her list.

Jamie brought out a huge pile of pancakes and the rest of the group quickly followed. They ate hungrily and all congratulated Jamie on the delicious breakfast.

"Right" announced Darren "I will wash up and then I am taking my lovely wife for an afternoon out somewhere romantic"

"Oooooh" they all chorused and started laughing

"I'm gonna go for a surf" said Kailan "Wanna come?" he asked Shannon

"I don't think this heat will help with my hangover" she laughed "I might go and see if Connor needs me to do a shift, I need the money for Christmas presents"