Chapter 32 - Congratulations

After the ceremony, everyone gathered outside for drinks and photographs.  Shannon smiled as she looked over at Rachel and Darren having their photograph taken and she saw how happy they looked.  She was interrupted by Kailan appearing behind her and pulling her to him with his arms around her waist and kissing her on the cheek.

"Hey you"  he said with a smile as she turned to face him

"Hey yourself" she replied as Kailan grabbed two glasses of champagne from a passing waiters tray.

"Mmmm thanks, I needed that"  she laughed as he handed her one of the glasses and she took a large gulp of it.

"Smile guys" they heard Karen say as she took their picture on her mobile phone "Ooh that's a good one" she said as she held her phone up for them to see.

"Can I get a copy of that?" Kailan asked and Holly nodded as she looked up and saw that Heath had just arrived.

"Errrr, back in a bit" she muttered as she raced off in the opposite direction.

"They still not sorted that out" sighed Kailan, shaking his head.

"She totally put herself out there Kailan and he totally humiliated her" said Shannon.

"Yeah ok, but she did kind of drop a bombshell, I mean, Heath was straight with her from the off about what their relationship was"  he replied

"Well lucky for Heath then that he can just switch his feelings off I suppose"  snapped Shannon

"Hang on, why are we fighting about other people's love lives" smiled Kailan as he took hold of her hand.

Shannon smiled back at him and pulled him into a hug "You're right, let's leave them so sort it out like grown ups"

"I'm always right"  laughed Kailan as Shannon rolled her eyes and laughed with him.

It was time for everyone to be seated for the wedding meal and the speeches.  As they made their way to the beautiful courtyard seating, the bride and groom were greeting all their guests.

Shannon reached Darren first, who gave her a huge hug and a smile, then Rachel squealed in her ear as she hugged her tightly.

"I can't believe I'm actually married"  Rachel said as she finally released Shannon from the hug.

"I know" laughed Shannon "Congratulations mate"

Everyone was finally seated and the speeches all went smoothly, so the food was then served. Rachel and Darren had decided on an informal barbeque menu and all the guests were very well fed.

They had also hired a local band that started playing and got a lot of people up dancing straightaway.

The party went late on into the night and the band made sure everyone was on the dance floor for the last dance.  It was a slow song with a beautiful melody that Shannon had never heard before and as Kailan pulled her in close, they swayed along to the beat.  Shannon looked around the dance floor at everyone dancing.  There was a group of lifeguards all in a circle, swaying with their arms around each other and Karen and Holly had joined them.

Kailan had spotted them too and he started to laugh quietly "There will be some sore heads tomorrow" he chuckled.

Shannon nodded in agreement and looked up, right into Kailan's eyes. He smiled at her and she felt a lump in her throat and a sick feeling in her stomach.  How on earth was she going to be able to leave in what was now literally less than a couple of months?