Chapter 3 - Off to the beach

Shannon waved the gang off as they clambered onto the bus. Tristan had suggested hiring some cars and Shannon had promised to look into it today.

As Shannon looked around her, she realised how lonely she suddenly felt. She never did like her own company that much and wasn't very brave at going places on her own.

Right Shan come on, you can do this she told herself as she marched purposefully towards the beach. She spotted the famous lifeguard tower she had seen on the TV show and headed down to the sand. The sea looked particularly rough and Shannon made a mental note to avoid going in. Although she was a fairly confident swimmer she definitely did not want to have to be rescued on her first visit! The beach was fairly busy, even though the weather was quite cloudy but Shannon found a nice spot far enough away from the other beach goers. She placed her towel down on the warm sand and got comfy, tugging her sundress over her head then quickly remembered to check her bikini was in the best position for no tan lines.

OK, hurdle number one tackled, now relax she thought to herself reaching into her bag for the latest book she had been reading. Hearing a quiet rumble to her left, Shannon looked up to see one of the little buggy type vehicles she had seen on Bondi rescue – she was sure they were called rhinos or something? She tried not to stare whilst trying to spot who was on it, she recognised the driver but couldn't remember his name – he was one of the quieter ones she thought. She definitely knew who his passenger was though and he had seen her staring (so much for being subtle!)

"Hey, hows it goin" waved Maxi with a grin as the rhino sped past her. Oh crap Shannon said to herself as she gave an embarrassed half wave back and went straight back to her book.

Shannon spent the afternoon half reading her book, half watching the lifeguards. She spotted a few that she recognised – Maxi of course, Whippet, Jesse, Yatesy and Harries but it was still bugging her who it was she had seen driving the rhino with Maxi earlier. She suddenly realised she would get another look at him as she saw the rhino heading back up the beach in front of her. Just then there was a commotion with the family who had set up beside her. A small hysterical child had cut his foot on a stone or something and was screaming loudly. The rhino came to a stop right in front of Shannon as Maxi jumped out and went over to see if he could help.

"Hey Kailan, grab me the first aid kit would ya, we got a nipper injured in action here"

That's it – Kailan – of course! Shannon thought to herself as she watched him grab a small box and throw it over to Maxi who now had the small boy laughing his head off.

"It helps that they are the same mental age" said Kailan. It took Shannon a few seconds to realise he was actually talking to her and she laughed while screaming at herself in her head to say something.......anything.

"You here on your own" Asked Kailan as he started to walk over to her.

"Yeah, my friends are all off doing other things so I thought I'd visit the famous Bondi beach" replied Shannon nervously.

"Bit far from home aren't ya with that accent?" smiled Kailan as he crouched down right in front of her. Shannon realised how good looking he was and wondered why he didn't feature in the TV show more!

"Well home for the next 6 months is about 5 minutes walk from here but if you mean the UK then yeah it is about as far away as you can get I suppose" giggled Shannon

"And super Maxi saves the day again" sang Maxi as he walked over to join them "I leave you alone for 2 minutes man and you're already annoying the public" mocked Maxi.

"Actually mate I was about to warn her about the recent bag thefts" replied Kailan giving him a shove "Customer service and all that" he added smiling at Shannon.

A voice came over their radios calling them back to the tower

"No rest for the wicked hey" winked Maxi "Nice to meet you......." he said looking at her for a response.

" Oh, Shannon" she replied

"Well welcome to Bondi, we'll probably see you around yeah" said Maxi as he turned to go back to the rhino.

"There has actually been a few bag thefts recently so just be on your guard ok" said Kailan as he stood up "As a girl on your own you are an easier target I'm afraid"

"Thanks, I'll be careful" replied Shannon. Both lifeguards waved as the rhino drove off.

Shannon got her phone out and began texting Rachel

OMG I have just met V fit lifeguard!!! :-O xx

Her phone bleeped a reply seconds later

Jealous!!! This meeting is going on 4ever!! Am sooooo bored! Can U take a pic of fit lifeguards and send to me 2 entertain me??? :-P xx

Shannon smiled to herself as she typed her reply

Hahaha soz m8, he's gone now. Gonna head back myself in a bit if ur gonna be a while sun has gone in now anyway :-( xx

Shannon put her phone away and lifted her sunglasses to look around. The beach was a bit quieter than it had been and the big family who were beside her were packing up ready to go. Remembering Kailan's warning, Shannon decided to pack up too as being alone made her a bit uneasy. Shannon packed all her stuff away and went to put her sandals on, well the one she could find anyway. How the hell do you lose a shoe! Shannon muttered to herself as she scanned the area she had been sitting. She spotted some of the red material poking up from the sand and gave a sigh of relief, unfortunately in her distraction of shoe hunting, she didn't notice that she wasn't alone.