Chapter 34 - How on earth are they going to keep this a secret

After they had finished their fairly successful surfing lessons, they all decided to go to a bar for a drink. They sat in one of the booths and the boys went to the bar, leaving Shannon, Holly and Karen alone.

"I forgot to ask Holl, what happened with the sexy limo driver?" asked Karen, hopefully.

"Oh him, he never called" said Holly quietly

"Oh sorry" said Karen, squeezing Holly's arm "That's crap"

"Don't worry" sighed Holly "I'm getting used to rejection, I'm realising that I am just simply not an Australian man's type"

"Well that's ok"  reassured Karen "Plenty of English guys when we get home then"

Holly nodded and took her drink from Tristan as the boys all arrived at the table. Kailan squeezed in next to Shannon and put his arm around her as he took big gulps from his large glass of beer.

"I'm off work tomorrow babe so what shall we do?" he asked

"We could go for a drive, or maybe a little boat trip again? " She suggested

"Sounds good" he smiled.

Shannon leant into his chest and closed her eyes, happy that she had him all to herself for a whole day tomorrow.  The time was just flying by far too fast.

They only had a couple more drinks before deciding to call it a day and Shannon invited Kailan back to the house for dinner.

"I'll put the barbeque on" said Jamie as they arrived back at the house and everyone followed him outside.  As Shannon was grabbing drinks for everyone from the fridge, Karen tapped her on the shoulder.

"Oh! You made me jump then" laughed Shannon "You look very glam for a barbeque by the way"

"I need you to cover for me"  Karen whispered

"Ok, why?"  Shannon whispered back

I'm sneaking out to see Jesse of course"  replied Karen, looking around to make sure they were alone.

"Ahh I see"  laughed Shannon

"Shhh!" said Karen "Can you say I've gone to bed with a headache and that you will check on me later"

"Hmmm, I don't know Karen" said Shannon, "You know how I hate lying"

"Shannon, pleeeeeeease" whined Karen

"Oh, ok"   Sighed Shannon "But I think you need to just be honest and tell Holly, I feel rotten lying to her"

"Thanks Shan, you're the best" whispered Karen "I will tell her I promise"

"You'd better"  said Shannon as she watched Karen tiptoe to the front door.

Shannon sighed to herself and carried the drinks outside and handed them out to everyone. Kailan was on his phone as she waved his drink at him.

"Hang on mate, I'll check" he said into his phone

"What's up?" Shannon asked

"Maxi" he said, pointing to his phone

"What about Maxi" she replied

"He's managed to blow his kitchen up and so he needs a feed" laughed Kailan

"What!"  exclaimed Shannon "Is he ok?"

"He's fine" laughed Kailan "Just hungry"

"Tell him to get over here then" laughed Shannon, shaking her head

"Yeah mate, she says she'll feed ya"  Kailan said into his phone "Alrighty, see ya in a bit" and he hung up

"How in the hell did he blow up his kitchen?" asked Shannon

"I have no idea" laughed Kailan

Within a few minutes, Maxi had arrived, looking sheepish but armed with a case of beer.

"Thanks for this English" he sighed as he gave her a hug

"It's fine" she replied "How's your kitchen?"

"It's being fixed as we speak"  he replied "Should be right by tomorrow"

"Well you're more than welcome to stay here tonight" Shannon told him "We have plenty of spare rooms now anyway"

"Are you sure?" he replied "It will literally be just tonight and I'm out early for work tomorrow so I won't get in anyone's way"

"Its fine Maxi, really" she assured him "Now sit down and relax"

They had started eating when Holly noticed Karen wasn't there.

"Where the hell is Karen? " she asked

"Oh, she had a really bad headache, migraine thing and went to bed"  replied Shannon, feeling terrible for lying

"Oh no" said Holly "Shall I go check on her?"

"No, she'll be asleep now" replied Shannon quickly "I checked on her before and I think it's best we leave her now"

"Yeah, ok" shrugged Holly as she carried on eating her food and Shannon noticed Kailan and Maxi smile at each other knowingly.

Shannon made a mental note to tell Karen she wasn't going to lie for her anymore and Kailan leant in to whisper in her ear "How on earth are they going to keep this a secret"