Chapter 17 - Confession

Mitch's POV

Scott and I help Kirstie into our apartment as she sobs uncontrollably. We are all still in shock after what happened to Avi, but Kirstie has obviously taken it the hardest.

"Kirstie, we'll get him back soon, I promise," Scott says gently, comfortingly rubbing Kirstie's back.

Kirstie doesn't reply, and just continues to sob inconsolably.

"Um... Mitch, can I... Talk to you? For a second?" Kevin suddenly mumbles, sounding somewhat nervous.

"Uh- yeah, sure." I say, confused.

We leave Scott with Kirstie, and go up into my bedroom.

"What's wrong?" I say, "Well, aside from the obvious, I mean."

"Mitch... Can I tell you something? And will you promise not to be mad?" Kevin asks, biting his lip anxiously and avoiding eye contact.

I hesitate for only a second before saying, "Sure."

"Well... How do I put this..." Kevin mumbles, rubbing his forehead nervously, "I... I screwed up. Big time."

"Is this to do with Avi?" I ask on a hunch.

He stares at the floor and gives a small nod, "Yes. I-I... I did something terrible. I... I told his dad where he was. And... And I helped him. With all of this."

My head snaps up and I stare at him in disbelief.

"Kevin... Why?" I ask, unable to think of anything else to say.

"You know how him and Kirstie are... You know. Well... I-I kinda like Kirstie. And I have for a long time. But I was stupid and didn't have enough courage to tell her. And then when Avi got together with her, I felt... Angry. And betrayed. It was so stupid of me." He says, burying his head in his hands.

"And then you... You helped his dad." I say.

He gives a small nod, looking like he's holding back tears.

"Kevin... You really messed up." I say bluntly.

"I know..." He whispers, his voice hoarse and quiet.

"Well, we just have to pray that we'll be able to get Avi back alive." I sigh.

"Do you think we should contact the police?" Kevin asks.

"We can't. Remember what his dad said? If we get the cops involved, he'll know, and he'll kill Avi." I say, shaking my head sadly.

"So... Are we gonna have to get Avi back ourselves?" Kevin asks.

"It seems like it." I say, sighing and running a hand through my hair.

All of a sudden, both Kevin and my phones buzz simultaneously. We glance up at each other, confused, before pulling out our phones. I frown when I see that I have a message from an unknown number.

I unlock my phone and see that I've been sent a picture. My stomach drops when I see the photo. It's of Avi. Curled up on the floor with blood on his face.

I gulp in horror and look up at Kevin, who has a similar look on his face. Only a second later, Scott rushes into the room, holding his phone.

"Y-You got it too?" He asks quietly, his voice shaky.

Kevin and I both nod. I look down at the picture again, and notice some weird pen smudges or something on Avi's arm, but I just ignore it and quickly turn my phone off, not wanting to look at the photo anymore.

I look up to see that Kevin has buried his face in his hands.

He whispers almost silently, "What the hell have I done..."