Chapter 23 - Rescue

Kirstie's POV

"Hurry up! Drive faster!" I urge Kevin on, my hands nervously balled into fists.

"I'm already going way past the speed limit!" Kevin replies, clutching the wheel tightly.

I sigh and lean back in my seat in the car, anxiously running a hand through my hair. Worries begin to run through my mind: What if we don't find him? What if he's dead?

Scott's voice pulls me from my thoughts as he reads out the last letter from the photo.

"L. Take a left, Kevin." Scott says.

We turn into a run-down street lined by dirty grey houses. Half of them look abandoned, and the other half look like they're owned by someone extremely poor.

"Okay, keep an eye out for any indication of which house it could be." Kevin says, slowing the car down to a walking pace as we drive down the street.

After a few tense moments, I begin to lose hope that this is even the right street, but then Mitch suddenly seems to catch sight of something.

"Look! That's the only house with a car parked outside it. That must be it- we know that Avi was taken here in a car!" Mitch exclaims, pointing at a house with a windowless van parked in its drive.

"Well, let's go then." I say, my voice slightly shaky with nerves.

We head towards the front door, trying to stay as silent as possible. Avi's dad is dangerous; we want to have the advantage of surprise.

"Okay, quick question, how the hell do we get in?" Mitch says, raising his eyebrows.

"Like this," Scott says, before taking a few steps back and running at the door, easily breaking the lock and making it swing open.

"That was so hot..." Mitch mumbles under his breath.

"What was that, Grassi?" Scott asks with a smirk.

"What? Uh- nothing..." Mitch says quickly, a blush creeping into his cheeks.

Kevin sighs and rolls his eyes, causing both Scott and Mitch to go quiet as we enter the house. The interior is just as shabbythe exterior, with peeling wallpaper and stained carpet. Directly in front of us are a set of stairs leading down to the basement.

"Let's go..." I mutter nervously.

We head down the stairs, Kevin and I in front of Scott and Mitch. We reach the basement, and when I see the scene laid out in front of us, I can't help but gasp.

It looks like something out of a horror movie. Blood stains and splatters are covering the floor, and I'm pretty sure I know who it belongs to. In the corner, someone is lying limp on the floor, blood rapidly pooling around them. Avi.

And standing over him is his dad. Holding a knife, ready to plunge it into Avi's chest.

My body moves of its own accord, and before I know it, I'm running straight at Avi's dad. But Kevin gets there before me, and in within what seems like a millisecond, Kevin has tackled him to the ground.

A loud thud followed by a clatter echoes around the basement, and I look down to realise that Avi's dad has dropped the knife. I quickly dart forward and grab it whilst Kevin is still on top of him.

It's good job I did, as only a few seconds later Avi's dad manages to push Kevin off him and get to his feet again. He looks around frantically for the knife, and soon realises that he is now defenceless. He doesn't hesitate for even a moment before running away up the stairs.