Chapter 19 - Apology

Kirstie's POV

Nothing's been the same since Avi was taken. It's only been just over a day, but I can't bear it. It's bad enough that he's not here, but knowing that he's being abused is more than I can handle. I've been a complete emotional wreck, and although Scott and Mitch have been trying their hardest to comfort me, nothing will work. I need Avi...

I lie on my bed and stare at the ceiling, tears springing to my eyes at the thought of Avi. I sigh and roll onto my side, and catch sight of my phone's screen lighting up on the table next to my bed. I reach out and unlock it, and freeze when I realise that it's from Avi's dad.

I hesitate for a moment, before giving in and opening it. The second I see the picture, I wish I hadn't.

It's another photo of Avi, but this time he looks much worse. He is curled up on the floor, his eyes closed. His face is littered with horrible bruises, and blood is running down his face from a gash on his forehead. I stare at it for a moment, horrified, before immediately throwing my phone on the floor as far away from me as possible.

I turn and bury my face into my pillow, sobbing uncontrollably. I must be pretty loud, because a few seconds later I hear multiple sets of footsteps rushing up the stairs.

Scott, Kevin and Mitch all burst into my room worriedly, and immediately Mitch rushes to my side.

"Kirstie? What's wrong, Kirst?" He asks, sounding genuinely concerned.

"L-Look at my ph-phone..." I say, the tears still flowing down my face.

Kevin frowns and goes over to pick up my phone off the floor. As soon as he sees the picture, his face pales and he hands the phone over to Scott, who shows Mitch as well.

"Oh my God... That's terrible..." Mitch whispers, covering his mouth with his hand.

Scott gives a small nod, his eyes still fixed in horror on the picture of Avi. More tears stream down my face, and Scott and Mitch immediately rush over to comfort me.

"We'll get him back soon, I promise." Scott says, awkwardly rubbing my back.

Mitch gives me a gentle hug, "Avi is strong, he'll hold up until we rescue him."

I nod and wipe my eyes, wishing that I could believe Mitch. I try to put on a smile, but I can tell that Scott and Mitch can see right through it.

Suddenly, Kevin awkwardly clears his throat, looking somewhat nervous and uncomfortable as he stands in the doorway. I look up and can't help but glare at him slightly. Ever since he said all of that stuff to Avi, I can't help but hold a grudge against him.

"Um... I just wanted to say, for what it's worth," Kevin pauses, fiddling with his sleeves nervously, "Well... I'm really sorry. For, you know... Saying all that stuff to Avi."

I narrow my eyes suspiciously, unsure what to make of this. On the one hand, he seems genuinely apologetic, but I'm still not sure if I can forgive him so easily.

I hesitate for a moment before saying carefully, "Don't apologise to me. Apologise to Avi, when we get him back. If we get him back."