Chapter Twenty Seven: And So It Begins

My eyes flew open and I gasped, unsure of where I was at first, before the person shaking me awake had released. Fred. His eyes were wild with fear and urgency. As soon as I opened my eyes at looked at him, however, they became a little less scared.

"Finally! Quickly, get dressed." Fred hopped off the bed and ran to the other end if the room, stopping at the closet.

I sat up quickly, feeling a bit lightheaded, and swung my feet off the side of the bed. "Why? What's going on?" I asked, watching him as he shakily dressed himself.

He pulled a shirt over his head and glanced over at me, face serious. "It's happened." He said, before rushing to his bag for socks.

I jumped to my feet, hurrying over to him. "What? Damn it, Fred, what's happening?" He didn't wake me up for nothing, after all. I was becoming more and more antsy as I was left out of information.

"Fighting. Broke loose at Hogwarts." He told me solemnly, not looking up.

I gasped. I honestly hadn't expected for it to happen this fast. "When?" I asked, a tremble to my voice as I rushed to my suitcase, snatching the first things I saw to dress.

Fred tugged on his shoes. "Mum came in here about five minutes go and said it was happening, that it started. That's all I know." He replied, his tone heavy. We both must have felt equally guilty for not doing something before.

I pulled on a random pair of jeans in the dark, as well as my long-sleeved lavender sweatshirt wielding the Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes logo. "What are we going to do?" I pressed quickly, slipping into my tan Sanuks.

Fred had finished dressing as I had, and came over to me, taking my hand in his. He gave me a strong look, support in his eyes. He knew that as much as I wanted, needed, to do something, I was afraid. Naturally. But I knew that no matter what, Fred would be there for me. "We'll fight with them."

Somehow, I knew it would be okay then.

After what seemed like ages, we all arrived t the castle. It took a lot to get through the field of charms, which were being constantly held up, though luckily the war didn't seem to have kicked right off yet. Most of what was the fight seemed to be going on outside, just beyond the mountainous hills and cliffs off the lake shore.

I clung to Fred, his arm wrapped around me safely, as I listened to the taking around me. "Now, we need to all reminds calm-- nothing will come of fear." Remus's calm, strong voice rang throughout the halls.

McGonagal, who looked twice as aged and tired from the lat time I saw her just two years ago, nodded. "I need all the hands I can get to assist me with the barrier. As for the rest of you," she paused, looking around at us all, a tiny sad sigh escaping her lips. "Just fight." She finished.

My grip on Fred tightened, and I looked over at him. "Where's Harry and everyone?" Ginny had disappeared somewhere, most likely back with Harry and Ron and Hermione. Wherever they were, I knew I would find a purpose. After all, my best class in school was Charms; there isn't much you can do with that in a serious fight against the dark arts. Surly I could find something I was good at.

Fred shrugged, though he didn't look entirely lost. "I dunno-- but I do have an idea." With that, he grabbed into George's arm sleeve and tugged us both away from the throng we were in, and the three of us snuck away by the twins' lead.

We came into the room quietly, though we were instantly greeted by the sharper end of several wands. I threw my hands up. "Calm down, it's just us!" I defended, and Ginny, who had been one to throw up aim, settled down, her wand going to her side.

She sighed with both relief and frustration. "You've got to give us a little warning next time." She said, shooting a look at George and Fred pointedly.

I smirked, elbowing them. "Yeah, boys. You can't just barge into here, uninvited." With that, I walked forward, taking to the front of the group of students. They all looked to be about Harry's year.

Harry stood at the front; we seemed to have come in the middle of a talking to. "--it's something small, easily concealed." He explained, obviously struggling. I felt kinda bad for the poor guy-- after all, he was just another person, just like us. Here he was, though, forced to be a leader in a crisis no one could control and expected to know what he was doing.

Luna suddenly raised her hand, though she didn't wait to be called on to speak. "Like a diadem?"

Everyone looked to her, and Harry looked lie he would crash from relief. "A diadem?" He asked, confused.

Luna looked a little surprised. "You know, the Lost Diadem of Ravenclaw."

No one moved or spoke for a moment. Suddenly, Cho stepped forward. "No ones seen that in years... No one left alive knows where it is." She looked beaten, though there was a small spark of slight hope in Luna's statement that reflected in the other girls eyes.

I swallowed hard, moving forward. "I volunteer to have a look." Some of the students looked over, though many looked as if they didn't even see the twins and I come in.

With my daring and unexpected leap of faith, Fred and George repos store at with me. "We'll have a look, as well." Fred said, taking my hand protectively.

George nodded cutely. "Can't leave Mina on her own." He added. Leave it to these two rascals to stick with me. I smiled at them both, and George gave me a wink.

It was then that I knew I had the best friends anyone could ask for.