Part Fifteen

Part Fifteen:

Annabeth saw an image of herself. It was like she was watching a recording five years into the future. Future-Annabeth was holding a little girl, her daughter, perhaps...? A girl! She thought excitedly, staring at her future-daughter. The girl was around four or five and had curly black hair and big, stormy grey eyes. She was giggling at something a man with black hair and sea green eyes was doing.

Percy! Annabeth thought happily. Suddenly, there was a snap of wood. The door broke open and a giant cyclops made its way into the house.

"Run, Annabeth!" Percy cried, uncapping Riptide. "Go! I'll hold them off!" But after years of relaxation, Percy was no good. The cyclops roared and slammed his club into Percy's head. Then it snatched the girl from Annabeth's arms and threw her to the ground. Her body went limp, and a sob was caught in Annabeth's throat
"No!" She screamed, as she woke up lying on the floor of the Olympian Throne Room. "No!"

"What is it?" Percy asked worriedly, staring down at his girlfriend. "You fell to the ground suddenly and then starting screaming and kicking."

"M-mum?" Annabeth asked, staring at Athena. "W-was that r-real?"

"That was one scenario." Athena replied, her gaze still as cold as it was before. "Zeus ordered us to warn you. The child must not know of the gods. You will move, once the baby is born, to a city far away from here. Away from your friends and family. The gods will protect you until the time is right, then your child will become a hero destined for greatness."

"Why can't she know?" Annabeth asked, still sobbing. "Is there going to be some great prophecy or something?"

"Maybe, maybe not, but the gods have foreseen a dark future. I dare not speak of what is to come, but only the children of the most powerful demigods stand a chance at stopping it.

"I-I understand." Annabeth muttered. She grabbed Percy's hand and squeezed it as they headed back out of the throne room.

•••

"Now what?" Annabeth asked. Her and Percy were standing outside of the Empire State Building, looking down the street. "We still need to tell my dad, and I'm not really in the mood to tell him now..."

"We go back to Camp." Percy said. "Chiron is going to tell everyone tonight at the campfire, but we may as well go back now."

Ten minutes later they were sitting in the back of a taxi that reeked of cigarettes. The driver was careless and often went above the speed limit, almost making them crash several times.

But all Annabeth cared about was the fact that she had Percy with her. It didn't matter that they were in some dodgy New York cab, all she cared about was that he was sitting next to her.

Suddenly, there was a sound like metal crunching. Everything seemed to be in slow motion. The roof of the car tilted to the side and smoke started billowing from the steering wheel.

Annabeth squeezed her eyes shut and focused on trying to breathe as the car rolled over and over on the ground. Percy gripped her hand, and pulled her closer towards him. Then his hand went limp. Annabeth opened her eyes.

Percy's head had lolled to the side and a line of blood was dripping down the side of his face. The car was another story. It had landed on it's side, and the driver was nowhere to be seen.

Annabeth's vision went fuzzy. She tried to breathe but her lungs were stuck.
And then darkness took over...