Chance

Chapter Eighteen: Chance

chance: accidental event; luck or fortune; fate

~*~

Instead of giving Baekhyun Taemin's number, Jongdae contacted Taemin and set up a quick meeting outside of Taemin's high school. Although the distance was further than Baekhyun would have liked, he managed to beg and plead Joonmyun into driving him for 100,000 won.

"Do you really not remember who put his car keys in?" Baekhyun asked Joonmyun for the hundredth time.

"No, Baekhyun. I don't. I would appreciate it if you stopped asking. Consistent pestering won't make me suddenly remember."

"What about--"

"Baekhyun," Jongdae leaned forward in his seat and touched Baekhyun's shoulder. "He doesn't remember."

Baekhyun frowned and turned his attention to Taemin's ring. He found the ring after breaking Jongdae's heart, but after finding out who it belonged to, he and Jongdae started making out on his bedroom floor. Baekhyun's cheeks flushed at the memory. Couple rings... Baekhyun hadn't thought about couple items. He did have that idiot shirt that Kyungsoo gave him, in fact he was wearing it beneath Joonmyun's sweater. Did Jongdae have his too? It was time they went shopping together.

Perhaps Baekhyun was being too harsh on Chanyeol and Jaehwa. Maybe they felt the same way as he did with Jongdae. But full on making out in a roomful of people... the thought made Baekhyun queasy.

Joonmyun's eyes briefly landed on Baekhyun to his right and through the rearview mirror at Jongdae before focusing on the road, "Call me crazy, but I swear you two have been way too much time together."

"What do you mean?" Baekhyun asked.

"Not to reopen wounds, but is it really that easy to get back together?"

"It was just a misunderstanding," Jongdae said. "Remember?"

"I'm not talking about the one who started it all. I'm saying that... ah, nevermind." It wasn't Joonmyun's place to question another's friendship. Joonmyun just found it odd, and remarkable, that Baekhyun and Jongdae seemed more closer than ever. Not to mention that everyone knew Jongdae's feelings for Baekhyun.

"No, say what's on your mind," Baekhyun insisted. "We still have about a good ten minutes."

Joonmyun released a breathy laugh, wishing he'd never opened his mouth in the first place. "Baekhyun, in all the years that I've known you, you would never let anyone touch you, let alone hug you from behind."

He's onto us, ha.

Baekhyun and Jongdae remained silent, waiting for Joonmyun to continue. Instead, Joonmyun turned on the stereo and let the music fill the silence that stretched on until they arrived at Moojun High School where they could spot Taemin near the gates. Joonmyun stopped the truck, "Off you go."

"You two stay here," Baekhyun ordered before hopping out, as if they were planning to leave him behind. The cold whipping his cheeks, Baekhyun approached the young man, "Hey. Sorry for calling you out in the cold."

"No worries. Jongdae said you found my ring and wanted to know about the party?"

Baekhyun nodded, fingering the ring inside his pocket as he eyed the ring on Taemin's finger. Taemin had gotten a replacement. Baekhyun withdrew the item and handed it over, "I found it awhile ago. Jongdae said it belongs to you."

Taemin cracked a smile, "Yeah, I thought I lost it forever. Where did you get it? It wasn't from your mother was it?"

"No, I found it on my own," Baekhyun said quietly. He awkwardly hugged himself, not really knowing what to say.