Sincerity

Chapter Twenty-One: Sincerity

sincerity: honesty; free of deceit

~*~

Because  he lost in rock-paper-scissors, Chanyeol found himself pushing through  the cluster of eager students to get to the bulletin board. Being tall  had its advantages as he managed to see above the mass of dark haired  high schoolers in search for his name on the white pieces of paper. Recognizing  the names -- Park Chanyeol, Do Kyungsoo, Kim Jongdae, Byun Baekhyun --  Chanyeol held out his phone and snapped three photos, disappointed he  wasn't in the same class as any of the other three. Upon realizing  neither was Baekhyun, Chanyeol tsked to himself before shoving his way  out of the crowd.

Well Baek's not going to like that.

Chanyeol  rejoined his group of friends that stood off to the side away from the  horde of students. Baekhyun leaned forward, "Well?"

Chanyeol responded with a grimace, "I'm in class 3-A. Jongdae and Kyungsoo are in 3-B and Baek, you're--"

"Oh  my god," Baekhyun held up a hand to stop Chanyeol from continuing any  further. "They're telling me I'm stupid? Sure, why not just dump all the  idiots in one class? I hate this fucking school. Why couldn't Sooha  burn down instead?"

Jongdae  and Kyungsoo blinked in confusion. What the two didn't know was Sooha  High's different class standards for its third year students. Third  years were assigned classes based on their academic performances. Class  3-A was reserved for the higher intellectuals, hence Joonmyun's  placement in Class 3-A previously, class 3-B for the above average to  average, Class 3-C for the average to below average, and--

"You're in 3-D, Baek," Chanyeol said hesitantly.

Not even C but D.

"The  fuck I am," Baekhyun snapped. He pounded a fist against his chest, "I  am a good person. I don't deserve this. How the fuck are you in A?

Kyungsoo whispered to Jongdae, "I think there's a ranking system here."

"In  3-D the teachers don't give a fuck what happens. They assign stupid  work because they think we're all mindless shitheads. They have no faith  that they slap us in the face with preparing for the SATs thinking that  would solve the solution," Baehkyun said. "Who else is with me?"

Chanyeol  let Baekhyun look at the photo. Baekhyun recognized a couple of names  from the Well business but no one Baekhyun desired to talk to during  class. Baekhyun felt so upset and insulted. Not only was he practically  alone in the shittiest class of Sooha High, but he could no longer turn  around in his seat to talk to Chanyeol or Jongdae.

"What about lunches?" Baekhyun asked urgently.

"I don't know about that," Chanyeol responded. "We'll have to see."

Baekhyun  had his friends walk him to his classroom like he was child going to  kindergarten for the first time. He waved the three away before stepping  into the classroom where several other students were already inside. A  few glanced up at Baekhyun's entrance, surprise evident in their  reactions. Baekhyun was known for a lot of things by his peers even if  he didn't know them.

Baekhyun  was the Well -- nearly everyone knew, even the first years. Baekhyun's  mother was a prosecutor so don't mess with him or Mama Byun was going to  send their asses to juvie somehow. Papa Byun was a bouncer, though he  may not have looked like it he could overpower a man twice his size and  not to mention how hard he could throw a punch. Baekhyun's brother dealt  with drugs and alcohol during his middle and high school years but  Baekbeom was extrememly kind and possibly the nicest angel in the world.  Of course those who didn't know Baekbeom assumed he was a thug or a  gangster and deserved to rot in prison for 15 years.