Whimsical

Chapter Twenty-Four: Whimsical

whimsical: playful; unpredictable; mischievous

~*~

Being a prosecutor, Byun Suhyun was required to be observant and to put pieces together, whether or not they fit. Of course, she noticed her son spending nearly all his time with Jongdae, the way he treated Jongdae, the way he just seemed to ooze rainbows whenever Jongdae was around. Not even Chanyeol received the special treatment Jongdae received. She couldn't say she knew everything about Baekhyun, but time was precious to Baekhyun especially. It was all speculation, but she was convinced there was something extra special between the two.

Now her son had confirmed her suspicions. It came as a huge shock, there was no denying it.

Baekhyun had been dating Jongdae ever since the beginning of December of last year. That meant they'd been dating for about four or five months. How cute and lovely it was when Baekhyun told her about Jongdae. It was obvious that Baekhyun nearly had a heart attack when he slipped up, and he was most definitely shy and hesitant about telling her, but a smile Suhyun had never seen before found its way onto her's son face.

"You're not... upset?" Baekhyun eventually asked.

"What? No, why would I be?"

"Because... you just found out that I'm gay and have been hiding my secret boyfriend," Baekhyun muttered. His mother took his hands in hers and ordered for him to look up into her eyes. Baekhyun felt too embarrassed and disgusted with himself he couldn't look her directly in the eyes anymore. Maybe ever.

"Hyunnie, look at me." She tilted his head up and caressed Baekhyun's face. "It's okay. I know the truth now, better late than never. It doesn't matter to me which gender you prefer,okay? You're still the same Byun Baekhyun. You're still my son and I still love you." Suhyun pulled Baekhyun into a tight hug, tears welling in her eyes from the rush of emotions. She pulled back and caressed her son's face again, softly running her fingers across his delicate skin. "It's absolutely wonderful that you found someone. I really don't care that you're gay-- I mean I do care. I don't mind, is what I meant, sorry. It's nothing to be ashamed of, Hyunnie. I mean, you've been dating right under our noses, yet you're still the same person."

Baekhyun couldn't resist a smile. "Okay, I know you're cool with it but what about Dad?"

"Oh, you don't have to worry about him. Actually, you should worry about how he'll react to you keeping it a secret for so long."

Suhyun was correct, of course. What more could the two expect from Byun Minbeom? The next day when Baekhyun shyly revealed to his father about his secret boyfriend, Minbeom was shocked, yes. He remained speechless for about ten seconds before he approached his son. Minbeom snatched Baekhyun behind the neck and dug his knuckles into the top of Baekhyun's head. "You were dating Jongdae and you never told me?! We could have hung out together -- you, me, and your lover! We could have talked about love and relationships and sex and everything!"

"Dad! Let me go!" Baekhyun grunted in pain as he struggled for freedom. "You would have scared him away anyhow!"

"Then you'll just have to find another one," Minbeom teased before releasing his son.

Baekhyun ruffled his hair before fixing it, moving the long, loose strands away from his eyes. He mentally noted to get his hair trimmed soon. With a huff, he folded his arms across his chest and stomped his foot on the floor, "It wouldn't matter because you'd scared them all away."