Awry

Chapter Nine: Awry

awry: out of the normal or expected course

~*~

"F-Fiance?" Baekhyun nearly choked on his own saliva. "Baekbeom was getting married?"

Oh, this is awkward.

Bohye gave a nod, trying to avoid staring too long at Baekhyun's cast, "Can we talk inside?"

Baekhyun shot Jongdae an exasperated look before returning his focus to the woman, "I don't know if I should believe you."

"Baekhyun, just hear her out," Jongdae said, making sure to keep his foot by the door so the door wouldn't slam in his face.

From within the house a woman's voice called out, "Baekhyun? Who's at the door?" Seconds later, Mrs. Byun appeared behind her son, blinking in surprise at the two bodies standing outside the door. She could see the tension dancing on Baekhyun's shoulders as his eyes were fixated on the woman. Mrs. Byun acknowledged Jongdae, but questioned who the woman was.

"Hello Mrs. Byun," the young woman bowed, "my name is Lee Bohye. I know your son, Baekbeom."

"Let them in, Baekhyun," Mrs. Byun firmly gripped her son's shoulder and pushed him to the side. Jongdae and Bohye glanced at another, hesitant to enter now that Baekhyun was no longer guarding the door.

Jongdae gave a small wave to Mrs. Byun, "I think I should get going. This seems to be a family matter." With those words, he left Bohye alone on the front door step.

Slowly, Bohye entered the house, Mrs. Byun guiding her to the kitchen, "Baekhyun made brunch. Let us eat first." Despite Bohye's protest at intruding a family meal, she took a seat at the table with her future in-laws.

Mr. and Mrs. Byun attempted conversation with Bohye, trying to get to know her better. According to her, she and Baekbeom met when her car broke down in a storm and he was the only one who offered assistance. The story unphased Baekhyun who was still stuck in the moment when she revealed her relationship with Baekbeom at the front door.

After the meal, the four gathered in the living room where Bohye would reveal the reason for her visit. In a soft voice, she began by saying, "I don't know what you are aware of and what Baekbeom has told you, but he didn't burn the school, please know that."

"We do," Baekhyun immediately said. His mother gently touched his arm to shush him.

"How do you know? What makes you so sure?" Mrs. Byun questioned.

Bohye lowered her eyes, chewing her lower lip as she muddled on what to say. Baekbeom had made her keep silent, but after hearing he was sentenced to prison for 15 years... there was no way she was just going to ignore everything when her fiance was going to spend 15 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. "He was with me at the time the school burned. We were at a small, nearby clinic," Bohye said.

The revelation stunned Baekhyun, more than it affected his parents. "Why didn't you help him?!" Baekhyun demanded, anger flaring in his chest. "You could have been his alibi. You were with him so there was no way he could have burned the school!"

"I'm sorry," Bohye responded, "but he made me promise him to stay out of everything. Before leaving to visit you for two weeks, he told me not to say anything no matter what. He said he knew what he was doing."

Baekhyun's fingernails dug into the palm of his hand. He couldn't understand Baekbeom, that stupid idiot that was his brother. Mrs. Byun placed a firm hand on Baekhyun's shoulder, "Don't lash out, Baekhyun. At least we know for a fact that it was not Baekbeom."