Tension

Chapter Ten: Tension

tension: mental or emotional strain; situation of hostility or uneasiness

~*~

As usual, Joonmyun waited for Baekhyun at the front gate, but today Baekhyun insisted on walking home with Chanyeol. After Chanyeol assured Joonmyun he would protect the raven-haired male with his life, Joonmyun drove off.

The tall brunet glanced down at his best friend, "So, why did you decide to walk today?"

Baekhyun shrugged indifferently, "I need some time to think." He checked his watch to estimate the time it would take to get to his house, "Lately, I've been getting home too early, finishing my work too early, leaving me with too many thoughts."

A frown formed on Chanyeol's lips. At times Chanyeol would need a few moments to process what Baekhyun says. Most of the time, Chanyeol understood gist of whatever his friend was trying to say, but there were times Chanyeol had no clue. "You have too many thoughts, but need time to think. I guess that makes sense."

"Shut up, Chanyeol."

I'm surprised he's not with his girlfriend.

Baekhyun hadn't been spending a lot of time with Chanyeol lately, with the tall brunet always with his girlfriend for whatever reason. Baekhyun had actually begun to feel lonely -- Chanyeol had Jaehwa, Jongdae had Yoonmi, Kyungsoo was just being his usual weird self, and Joonmyun was always busy with studies, whether his own or others'.

Baekhyun slowly inched closer to his best friend as they walked down the busy streets. In all the years the two had been friends, they were never really close, proximity wise. Not like how he was with Baekbeom or Jongdae. Or even Kyungsoo. Chanyeol became aware of the space closing in between him and Baekhyun. As casually as he could, he stepped off to the side further away from Baekhyun. The raven-haired male frowned and stopped his advancements. Obviously, Chanyeol didn't want him to come too close. "What happened to Jaehwa?"

"She went home with her sister. All the college students are visiting home for the Chuseok holidays, Yura included."

Baekhyun nodded, "If Baekbeom wasn't in prison he would be visiting us too."

Chanyeol cringed at the nonchalant way Baekhyun spoke about his own brother, someone that Baekhyun loved most dearly. Not sure how to respond, Chanyeol nodded wordlessly.

"What's wrong, Yeollie?"

"N-Nothing. Why?"

Puffing his cheeks, Baekhyun turned his attention away from Chanyeol. Instead, he focused on each step he was taking, making sure he wasn't going to step over bugs or poop or trip over a crack--

As soon as that last thought left his thought, Baekhyun tripped and stumbled forward.

Damn it.

A smirk appeared on Chanyeol's face as he raised a brow. "What's wrong, Baek?" he asked teasingly, chuckling at his friend's clumsiness. Noticing the tinge of pink on Baekhyun's face, Chanyeol broke into a grin, "Don't be embarrassed, dude. I've witnessed your idiodicy on many occasions ever since we became friends."

"Shut up," Baekhyun snapped, slamming his cast against Chanyeol's arm.

"You get so butt-hurt over the smallest things," Chanyeol tsked, gently rubbing the area that had been attacked so ruthlessly. "It's just me; you don't need to impress me. Not like you can anyway."

I don't try to impress anyone. I don't have time for that shit.

Baekhyun failed to suppress a yawn. Tears blurred his vision once he opened his eyes. He reached up to wipe the tears away with a sniffle. Misunderstanding the situation, Chanyeol reached for Baekhyun, "Are you crying? I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."