Mishap

Chapter Twenty-Two: Mishap

mishap: bad luck; an accident

~*~

It had quieted down after the music smoothed to a stop. Jongdae could still hear the echo in his ears of Baekhyun and Chanyeol's loud screaming. He didn't know about Baekhyun, but he knew Chanyeol could sing better than his performance just seconds ago -- after all he was there at the talent show -- but that evening Baekhyun and Chanyeol were being obnoxious with their half-screaming and half-talking. Baekhyun had surprised Jongdae with his enthusiasm, running back and forth and jumping in circles along with Chanyeol.

Jongdae clapped excitedly because it was all over. Kyungsoo chuckled as he hugged his knees against his chest, head tilted to one side. Kyungsoo watched Baekhyun throw off his sweater and sit down beside Jongdae. Baekhyun accepted the water Jongdae offered him and let Jongdae wipe away the sweat along Baekhyun's forehead. Kyungsoo hadn't meant to say anything but he was overly curious. "When was your first kiss?" Baekhyun and Jongdae exchanged glances but neither replied to Kyungsoo's question. Why was Kyungsoo being so nosy? Why did he casually ask when their first kiss took place while he, Baekhyun, Jongdae, and Chanyeol were sitting in a bright karaoke room?

From where he sat choosing the next song, Chanyeol added, "Yeah let's hear it."

"December... 6th right?" Jongdae finally said.

"No," Baekhyun responded almost immediately, "that wasn't a kiss. How dare you call that our first kiss? I didn't even kiss you back, you basically did this." Baekhyun quickly tapped Jongdae's lips with his finger. "That's not a kiss."

"Oh, so Jongdae pulled the first move?" Kyungsoo smiled.

"He told me to," Jongdae reached for his glass of water. He never thought the day for this conversation would arise. It felt weird. Both Kyungsoo and Chanyeol fixed their attention on Baekhyun and awaited an explanation.

Baekhyun nervously laughed and dug a fist into Jongdae's side, "It was your choice."

Jongdae coughed out the water and wiped his chin with his sleeve. He set his glass down and shoved Baekhyun to the side in retaliation. Dark spots scattered over his pants from where the water spilled from his mouth. "Then when was our first kiss, Baekhyun? Enlighten us."

"That morning we made out in my room," Baekhyun said. Satisfaction swelled in his chest at the flustered expression that crossed his boyfriend's face. "Don't tell me you don't remember."

Jongdae would have to have been crazy if he couldn't remember the day where Baekhyun broke down and trashed his whole bedroom. "That's our first kiss?"

"Yup."

"That's..." Kyungsoo gulped and looked away, gesturing for Chanyeol to hurry up with the song selection. The mental image of Baekhyun and Jongdae lying on Baekhyun's bed and making out... Kyungsoo closed his eyes and shook his head. "That's nice. What about your first date?"

"I found a song!" Chanyeol shouted, almost urgently. "Kyungsoo and Baekhyun will sing a duet together."

"But I just--" Baekhyun began to say but Chanyeol had hauled him off his feet and pushed him to the front of the room. Kyungsoo joined his side and thrust a microphone into Baekhyun's hand. "Why--"

"Shh!" Chanyeol ran back to the sofa and sat down beside Jongdae. "And sing with all your heart guys." The music began to play, a soft melodic tune filling the room.

Baekhyun had only ever seriously sung in front of his family, Chanyeol, Jaehwa, and Joonmyun. Years ago. Beads of sweat dotted along his forehead again as he stared back at Jongdae and Chanyeol. The temperature suddenly increased tenfold in the stuffy room. Baekhyun fidgeted with his shirt collar before eyeing his friend beside him. Kyungsoo flashed a grin and briefly touched Baekhyun's shoulder.