Opportunity

Chapter One: Opportunity

opportunity: a favorable or suitable occasion or time

~*~

It had come down to whether he should just return home. He took another glance at his wrist watch and sighed, tapping his foot impatiently. The young male blew away the loose strands of his black hair that jabbed at his eyes. He had stood in line under the blistering sun for over an hour and his patience was running thin. The small hand that held tightly onto his reminded him he was there for a reason.

It's only for today, Baekhyun.

The brunet that stood just in front of the raven-haired boy turned to the little girl holding him, "Are you sure you really want the plushie?" The little girl nodded tiredly. The brunet made eye contact with Baekhyun and flashed a small smile, "Isn't this fun?"

Baekhyun nodded slowly, wishing he was at home lying on the couch with the air conditioner blasted up, enjoying a nice bowl of ice cream while watching TV. But no, he was stuck waiting in line outside on a hot summer day with his neighbor's daughter. All for a free random giant plushie.

At least you're getting paid. Getting paid to melt, damn it. Not to mention you're going to get so dark.

He figured talking to the brunet would help time pass by but he was too tired and hot to even speak. Unfortunately or fortunately -- Baekhyun wasn't sure which -- the brunet wasn't feeling the same way. "My name is Jongdae, what's yours?"

"Baekhyun," the raven-haired boy replied, swiping the sweat from his forehead. He was melting. When were the stupid people going to come out? The small hand tugged his and he turned his attention to the little five-year-old girl that stared up at him with large brown eyes.

No, not those eyes.

"I have to pee."

"Well, if we get out of line you're not getting your plushie," Baekhyun said flatly. The little girl pouted and pulled at his hand again.

"I really have to pee, Baekkie." She began lightly bouncing from one foot to another. Pouts never worked on Baekhyun, he was practically immune to them, and the situation didn't call for many choices. It was either she relieved herself, no plushie, and tears or wait, get the plushie and possibly a bladder infection, and then use the restroom. He didn't have to worry about a bladder infection because she would pee in her pants before that would happen.

Rolling his eyes, Baekhyun asked, "Do you want the plushie or not?"

"I do, but I really have to pee!"

Baekhyun caught Jongdae watching him. The brunet smiled, "It seems you have quite the dilemma."

"Just pee in your pants," Baekhyun said to her. He ignored the looks everyone was giving them, he could care less about what they thought.

The little girl squeezed Baekhyun's fingers tightly, "Can't I just go by myself?"

"No."

In the end, Baekhyun and his neighbor's daughter walked home with empty hands. He was upset he had to wait in line for an agonizing hour and a half in the heat, only to have to leave because the dumb little girl had to relieve herself and that cost them their spot in line. He only became angrier when he found out the brunet guy didn't even receive a plushie. What a waste of his time.

"Just tell your parents to buy you one," Baekhyun said to calm down the gloomy girl. She sniffled, tears streaming down her face. She didn't say anything as the two arrived at Baekhyun's house. Upon entering the home, a blast of cool air gently caressed his skin before enveloping him entirely.