Chapter 6 - Dreams

You jolted upright in bed, gasping. The last threads of sleep were still clinging to you, but suddenly it seemed impossible to close your eyes again. Your hand found your chest and fell over your beating heart. Sweat trickled down your hairline.

Out the window that stretched out inside the reading nook, the moon shone down through a hole in the Warren. It seemed welcoming, like it was waiting for you.

You got out of bed and walked to the glass. Panic was fighting its way into your senses. Every shadow that moved, every flicker of light was a new threat. Trying to get your mind off of the fear, you pushed the window open and lifted your face to Manny.

"No, Ombric, I wanted to ask you for help."

"Bunnymund, I cannot change her fate. It's her destiny."

"Can't ya do somethin'? Anythin'!"

"I have to go. She needs you, Bunny."

Curious, you opened the door to your room and tip-toed over to Bunny's room, your feet cold against the hard ground. You were trembling.

You put your hand on the handle to Bunny's door, then stopped. Would you look weak asking for comfort from a nightmare? And who was Bunny talking to? Did he really want you gone?

You knocked, and when there was no answer, you cracked the door open. Suddenly, the nightmare wasn't your only fear, now you might've had to face Bunny's wrath.

"Bunny?" you asked softly.

"Hm?" He rolled over in bed and sat up, looking down at you. "What'dya want, little mate?"

"I... Um... I had a nightmare," you said, looking down at your feet. "Can I sleep in here?"

He stared at you for a second, then shook his head, almost scared-like. "No." He laid back down and pulled the covers over himself.

The nightmare started to replay itself behind your eyes. "Please?"

He grunted and said nothing.

Determination taking over your rational side that told you to leave, you laid down on the ground next to his bed and curled up in a little ball. Shivering, you asked yourself, What am I doing? You didn't see a blanket, but at this point, you weren't going to leave.

One night won't kill me, you decided, which is when you felt arms wrap around your trembling body and pull you up onto the bed. Bunny's gentle smell of fresh bread and rain on asphalt met your nose.

"All right, little mate, what happened?"

"My cat died," you said. "I killed her. I killed my cat."

He nuzzled his nose into your hair and let out a soft sigh. Wisdom coated his voice as he said, "It was just a dream, darlin'."

"I know," you whispered. "But it still scares me."

"I know," he said, and you knew he meant it by the way his own breath was trembling.

It was silent for a while. The curtains were closed, but the moon seemed to shine brighter in this room, or maybe it was because you were in it now.

"Who's Ombric?" you asked.

"Ombric - how do ya know his name?"

"I heard you talking to him," you replied.

Bunny let out a breath. You looked up at him to find him closing his eyes. "Ombric is Father Time," he replied.

"Is he nice?" you asked.

"Pretty nice, as far as immortals go. Definitely lives up to his name."

"Is there a Mother Nature?" you asked.

"No."

"Why not?" you asked.

"I guess Manny hasn't found the right girl yet."

"Manny has to find people?" you asked.

"He found you, didn't he?"

"North found me," you replied.

"Manny led North to you."

"Why?" you asked.

He let out a light chuckle. "You sure do ask a lot of questions."

You yawned. "I just wanna know the answers."

He yawned after you. "How about in the mornin', little mate?"

But you were already asleep.

...This chapter has some formatting issues... I'd fix them now, but it's kind of 3:35AM where I live, and 3:35 is usually about when I'm on Pinterest. Plus, my computer isn't in my room for whatever reason, and my cat is asleep on my back, so it looks like I will not be moving anywhere anytime soon.

But am I the only one who's just now finding out about the different fonts you could change your text to? I thought there were, like, four or something, but tonight I found out otherwise. It's kinda cool.

Happy reading! I'll see you guys at the next update (which will hopefully be soon)!