Chapter 15 - Secrets

I had this lovely Bunnymund piece done by @/zeevkesley (you can find them on Instagram, Twitter, and Tumblr). I'm so in love with it and I wanted to share it with you all. :,)

You knelt down next to the body. You stretched your hand out, then pulled it back. Who was this, and why was he here? More importantly, what had happened to Bunny? You breathed, "Bunny?"

An idea suddenly dawned on you. What if Pitch had him? You stood and yelled, "Bunny?! Where are you?!"

The Warren was silent. You felt alone, and the maybe-dead body at your feet wasn't helping. Fear was consuming you, making your heart beat faster than usual. "Bunny!" you called feebly. "Bunny..."

You started towards the house, your steps quick. How would you get to North? Which tunnel led to the Pole? Would you be able to use Bunny's phone? In your doubt, you slowed to a walk.

"Wait, (Y/N)," came a quiet voice with an Australian accent behind you. You spun around. The young man was sitting up slowly, rubbing his head. "(Y/N)."

A stranger - even if he was Australian - in Bunny's home angered you, but it came across as fear when you weakly tried to defend yourself: "Stay back!" you yelled as he started to get to his feet. "Don't move."

"(Y/N), what...?" He looked down at his hands. "Oh, no..."

You stared at him. He had grey-blue hair that went down to the bottom of his neck. It had darker streaks in it. He had a strong jawline and bright green eyes. He wore a grey tank top and dark grey jacket with grey pants. The jacket was disheveled and lined with white fur. He had Bunny's signature items - leather wristguards and a sheath strapped across his body.

"It's me, (Y/N)," the man said quietly. "Bunnymund."

You backed up a little more. What was all this magic?

"You have to believe me," he begged. "Please, little mate."

His use of Bunny's nickname for you changed your mind. Your throat stung. "Bunny?"

"Come here," he said, and beckoned for you to come to him. You took a couple wary steps, then jogged over and kelt next to him. He sat up straight and took your hand in his. His fingers were warm, gentle, and somehow oddly fitting for the tough Pooka that you were used to.

"I'm confused," you said quietly, which was the only thing that managed to come out of your mouth. "Why are you a human?"

He sighed and looked down, then shook his head in some kind of disbelief. "Well, I can kind of shape shift."

"'Kind of'?" you repeated. You searched his green eyes, wanting answers. They were the same as usual, and it comforted you.

"It's when I'm weak or need a disguise, I can become one of three things: a Pooka, a normal rabbit... Or a human. I don't have reason to use it very often, but I do every once in a while. And sometimes it happens without me trying." He looked across the Warren, his face solemn. Were those... Tears forming in his eyes? "I don't like to use it."

"Why not?"

"Because it makes me feel fake..." He drew his knees up to his chest, his hand still holding yours gently. He blinked quickly a couple of times, and the tears were gone. "And it reminds me of my past. I don't like to remember."

You put your other hand on his knee. "I'm sorry."

"Don't... Don't tell anyone, okay?" He looked up at you with pleading eyes.

"You mean... They don't already know?" you asked.

"North does," he said. "The rest don't."

"Okay," you said quietly, "I won't tell."