Chapter 8 - Changes

Bunny wrapped his arm around you protectively. "What is it, mate?" 

Jack sighed. "It's about (Y/N)."

Your stomach dropped. Why would North want to talk to the Guardians about you? Was he going to send you away? 

Bunny looked down at you. You stared back up at him, your (E/C) eyes wide.

Bunny let go of you suddenly and tapped a tunnel in the ground. 

"Take (Y/N) to the Pole. I'll meet you there."

"Can I come with you?" you asked Bunny. 

His nose twitched, and then he leaped down into the dark hole. You watched him disappear, and then the tunnel vanished.

"Come on, Snowflake," Jack said. 

"What's up with Bunny?" you asked, kicking off your shoes.

Jack stared at you a moment, then grinned. "You remember my rule?" 

You rolled your eyes, but couldn't stop the smile that lifted the corner of your mouth. "Sure, Jack."

You picked up your shoes and stepped onto the staff, then wrapped your arms around his shoulders. 

"Anyway." Jack took off, leaving the ground. You held onto him tightly. "Bunny tried helping a mortal a long time ago. She was a friend... To all of us. Her brother was the first one who believed in me. And then, well, she grew up. Stopped believing. Bunny was devastated. I don't think he wants to experience that pain again."

"What about the boy who believed in you? Weren't you upset about him?" 

Jack smiled lightly. "He believed until the very end."

"You mean... He's dead?" 

Jack was silent.

You murmured, "What were their names?" 

"Jamie and Sophie."

The two of you didn't talk for the rest of the ride there. When you arrived, Sandy and Tooth were already there. 

"Hi, North!"

You hopped off the staff, and Jack flipped it up onto his shoulder. He smiled at you as you walked over to the other Guardians. 

"(Y/N)!" North called. "It is good to see you again. I hear you spent a night at Bunny's warren."

You smiled. "It was amazing, North! The colors were so vibrant and the greenery was gorgeous. The flowers were all in bloom, and it smelled lovely, like the smell of natural water. The river was full of this pretty paint - I'd never seen anything like it - and all the little eggs were just adorable. It was like it was always spring time. Oh, and my room was perfect - just the way I'd always wanted my room to be. And it had all my favorite things. The bed was so comfy... It was simply fantastic."

"Glad ya liked it, little mate," Bunny said behind you.

You spun around. "Can I go back?" 

The light smile left Bunnymund's face. He opened his mouth to speak, but you cut him off.

"Never mind. I'll go back to my... Home. Legs'll miss me anyway."

He chuckled. "You can come back."

You looked up at him. He ruffled your hair as he walked past you, towards North. 

"You needed to talk?"

North nodded gravely. "Come." 

North led Bunny, Tooth, and Jack into the room that you had talked in the day before. You watched them go, then turned to Sandy.