Chapter 16 - Evenings

You walked slowly through a forest. The trees were close together, making it dark. Even though it was night time, the moon was bright; its - or, his, rather - light guided you through the thick grove. Around the brambles, over the trailing vines, and under the low-hanging branches you walked, not seeing but somehow knowing where you were going. You felt safe, secure, despite the lack of understanding or physical companionship. Even though you were alone, you knew someone - or something - kind was with you.

"(Y/N)," came a quiet voice above you.

"Yes?" you responded, stopping in a lit clearing. The outside of it was illuminated, but you couldn't see beyond that. Somehow, this was appropriate.

"Have a seat. I'd like to talk to you."

You took a seat on one of the three rocks that were in the middle of the clearing. The light around you continued to glow, and it made your heart feel lighter.

A figure appeared from the forest, taking even strides towards you. He looked kind, glowing slightly even as he left the bright light around you.

"I've been looking forward to meeting you in person," the man said.

"Excuse me, sir, but who are you?" you asked, keeping your eyes trained on him, although you found him as absolutely no threat. In fact, you felt like you knew him somehow, but you couldn't put your finger on who he was or where you'd have known him from.

"I'm Manny, or, the Man in the Moon." He smiled warmly.

"But I didn't think you could come to Earth," you said.

He sat next to you. "I can come to you like this in dreams."

You couldn't help but smile. "It's lovely to meet you then."

He smiled back. "And you. But unfortunately, I have something very grave to discuss with you, and I'm guessing that you know what it's about. But I'm sure you can handle it, right? Are you willing to listen?"

"Y-yes," you said quietly, unsure for the first time.

"Don't worry, it'll benefit you in the end." He sighed heavily, then raised his hand. In front of you, a small projection was displayed. Images started moving in the light. "As you've been told, you have to die before you can become a Guardian. The thing is, your death will save one, and cost another. Not his life, but it will inflict great suffering on him, and also you, in turn."

"Wait, is it -" you started, but Manny cut you off.

"That, I cannot say," he interrupted. "But don't worry, he'll be fine in the end. You'll be able to help him, (Y/N), with the powers that I'm going to give you. Which brings me to my next point."

"I've started developing them already," you told him, even though he already knew this very well. "The other Guardians are worried about it. Why?"

"Because they've never seen anything like it before. (Y/N), you are to be a very special Guardian once your time comes, which will be soon, I promise. You are strong, and your powers will change everything. The delicate balance that rests among the Guardians will have to be rebuilt. Everyone is depending on what they know, but soon they will depend on your new powers to save the children of the world."

"I don't know if I'm ready for that kind of responsibility," you said carefully. "I'm scared. I don't know if I really want to die just to become something else."

"Fear not, young one," Manny said quietly, standing up. "You will see how the plan unfolds in due time."

"Wait, Manny, please tell me more. I'm so lost."