Chapter 9 - Nightmares

THREE HUNDRED FOLLOWERS?! YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST!

The weeks that followed were misery. Nights were filled with images of death situations and bad memories. Days were filled with extreme caution and jumpy neurons. Bunny was of extreme consolation - he was able to comfort you when nothing else did. He was the Guardian of Hope, after all. But there seemed to something more to his compassion. With each day that passed, he changed ever-so slightly. His reluctance dissipated. He was more caring. He wasn't as irritated. He was becoming a friend.

You jolted out of bed and screamed. The nightmare didn't leave your vision when your eyes opened. You leapt from the bed and threw the covers down. They crawled with the blood of Legs. (Yes, your cat's name is Legs. If you're allergic to cats, pretend it's a dog. And if you're allergic to both, pretend its a freaking fish in a bowl on wheels.) Your back hit the wall and you burst into tears, then dropped to your knees and sobbed.

Bunny jumped off the bed and landed next to you, dropping down so that his face was level with yours. "(Y/N), (Y/N), are you okay, little mate? Come on, darlin', what happened?"

"Legs," you choked out. "It was Legs. But, Bunny, th-this time..." You couldn't go on.

Bunny pulled you into his arms and held you against him. It wasn't until that his familiar smell filled your nose that you started to calm down. Slowly but surely, your breathing steadied. The panic left you. You were left shuddering against Bunnymund.

"What was it this time, little mate?" he asked gently.

"Legs was killed. But you know how last time... How last time, it was my dad?" You looked up at him, putting your hand on his chest.

He looked down at you and covered your hand with his paw. "Yeah."

"This time... This time it was you." You closed your eyes and rested your head against his shoulder. You were tired again, but afraid to fall asleep.

"I'm sorry, darlin'." He pressed his nose against your cheek. "I'd never hurt your cat."

You nodded. "I know."

He stood, helping you up as he did. "Come on. I'll make you some tea."

His paw still wrapped around your hand, he led you into the kitchen. You sat down on the couch nearby and watched him. He set a pan on the stove, then filled it with water.

"Don't you have some kind of... Magic... Thing... That would make it for you?"

"Yeah, but it doesn't taste as good like that." He winked at you, and you smiled.

Steam started rising from the pot almost immediately. He leaned against the wall and stared at the ground. You couldn't help but stare at him. What was he thinking?

Once the water started boiling, he stood straight. "I'm gonna go call North."

"Call?" You laughed lightly. "You Guardians call each other?"

His ears twitched; amusement let his eyes. "I guess so. It's different."

"Different? Like, how?" You crawled to the edge of the couch.

"Well..." Bunnymund pulled an Easter egg from the counter, then cracked it open. It started to float until it was illuminated by a shaft of moonlight. Little holograms projected themselves from the egg. Bunny slid them around in the air, until an image that resembled North surprisingly well was shown most prominently. Bunny trouble tapped it, and it was quiet for a moment. After that, North's muffled voice was barely heard on the other end of the phone.

"Aye, North, it's Bunny. I need to talk to you. ... No, Easter is fine. ... Yes, I know. Christmas'll be fine. This is serious. ... I need your help. ... No! I mean, yes! Er— ... North, what the bloody hell were you thinkin'?! Tellin' her about the death? ... I know it's her destiny, but she can't get any sleep. ... I told you that. Nightmares are haunting her and she can hardly even close her eyes! ... No, I know. ... I'm sorry. But, North— ... I just can't stand to see her like that. ... Yeah, all right. I'll talk to you."

You watched Bunny set the calling device down. He glared at the wall, then spun around and stormed back into his room. You heard a drawer open and close. You leaned your head back, and a memory flooded your vision.

She knelt next to a boy, who was crying. "Hey, buddy, what's wrong?"

"Jason doesn't wanna be my friend anymore," the boy cried.

"Who's Jason?" she asked.

"My... My friend." He sniffed. "He's over there." The boy pointed to another boy who was sitting on the swings, his head down.

"Jason?" she called.

The boy looked up. "Yes?"

"Come here, please."

He stood and walked over. "I'm not supposed to talk to strangers."

"You don't have to talk to me, talk to your friend. What happened?"

The boy called Jason turned reluctantly. "Me and Nate had a fight."

She was quiet. Nate's frown deepened. "I'm sorry, Jason."

"No, I'm sorry." Jason looked at Nate. "Are we still friends?"

Nate smiled. "Definitely."

The boys left happily, already talking like old friends again. She stood and smiled after them. But she still didn't have anyone to talk to for herself.

Bunnymund returned as the memory ended. He poured the water into mugs that had little tea bags hanging out of them. He seemed stressed. He lifted the mugs and walked over to you, then sat next to you. He handed you your tea and smiled, but it was forced.

"What's wrong, Bunny?"

He sighed. "You. You haven't slept for days."

"I get some sleep. It's better when you're there."

He wrapped a protective arm around you.

"It'll be over soon, right?" You took a sip of tea.

"Yeah. I think so. But if not, I'll always be here."

Bunny wrapped his arms around you and leaned back on the couch with a huff of breath. A wave of weariness overtook you. You closed your eyes, scared of the images that you feared would fill your mind once more. But for once in weeks, enveloped in Bunnymund's arms, no nightmares found you. 

Cuties. 

I made myself a cake to commemorate 300 followers (I'm very lonely like that; my friends don't text me back and I always text them first so it's a problem), and my dog ate it without even knowing what is was for. I love him.